is this a ruffe?

crazycarphunter

Actually they did arrive in that way but it was decades ago.

Lomond is the only loch up here with lots of them.

Guys used to bring up tons of lives using up the roach/Rudd/chublets etc etc first with Ruffe and perch as the less preferred option to fall back on if they run out of the aforementioned.

Ultimately many of these would be turned loose at the end of the weekend, I seen it with my own eyes with none of us at the time realising the harm.

Remember back then it was legal.

Before live baiting was banned in Eire then Scotland the practise had already declined due to the easy availability of locally caught around balmaha boatyard. (on a good day you could get a weekends lives in an hour) better than trying to cart em up the M6.

Now the loch is awash with Ruffe but then lomond has every freshwater species and some sea ones too, while catching prime roach I watched a guy get a flattie lol at balmaha wooden pier

I'm a native, I hail from Alexandria. The flounders have always been in the Loch, and they are 100% natural. Flounders are often found in fresh water. The only question is can they breed in fresh water or do they need to return to estuaries or the sea to spawn.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a decent size, abit bigger than a HTC Desire S. Sadly I never weighed it so I wouldnt have a clue how heavy it was. Anybody like to guess? lol

Mad on fishing but don't have a clue how to fish :)

I'm a native, I hail from Alexandria. The flounders have always been in the Loch, and they are 100% natural. Flounders are often found in fresh water. The only question is can they breed in fresh water or do they need to return to estuaries or the sea to spawn.

Just like Mullet they can spend most of their lives in freshwater but have to return to brackish water (at least) to spawn sucsessfully.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!