kent...wateringbury...PIKE!!

james richards

right, well my dad has a boat moored at wateringbury in maidstone, kent.

iv noticed a lot of fishing down there....i fish salt water myself but when im down there i fish all day and im starting to get attached to the sound of fishing for pike.

can someone please fill me in on what i need to know for pike...E.G: lures, deadbait, time of year, dawn or dusk, all sorts like that..

also any helpful websites would be much appriciated. also can someone give me a link to or tell me the best lure to get...just to get started..

cheers james

James

I think Maidstone Victory control the fishing around Wateringbury so you may need to join a club before you can fish; even from your boat.

Also remember it is now close season on the rivers.

[ 20. March 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Maidstone Victory don't handle the fishing rights at Wateringbury ayt the moment(I'm a member). At present, Bromley run the section which you are talking about. I caught my first ever Pike at Wateringbury, downstream, on the right hand bank looking towards Maidstone. I took it on a Makeral spinner, which I'd dragged out in a lump of weed, complete with an "Elasticum" wire trace. this was in 1972.

If you are actually fishing from the Marina part, check the boat club rules, as it's possible fishing may be free to those who have moorings. I'd advise not to take a chance without checking, as I know a couple of local bailiffs, who check regularly.

Towards the end of the open season (you'll be aware it's now the closed season), big fish were coming from in the middle, in midstream, to big dead baits.

In the summer, you'll catch on rubber red and white lures, such as those produced by Ryobi. in the Autumn/winter, copper spoons do well.

Winter, slog it out in the margins with Eel section, or lamprey. Look for deeper holes where trees have gone in and been pulled out and washed away by the flow. You can spot these easily. They are on the outside of bends, but there is a sharp bit to the bend where the tree has gone down. there will usually be an undercut as well, which will hold chub and big eels (which will also take an eel section.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

The closed season on rivers, means that you are not permitted to deliberately fish for coarse fish, between the times/dates of 24:00, on the 15th of March to 24:00, on the 16th of June.

It allows coarse fish to breed undisturbed.

I can't believe you haven't heard of the closed season, yet are wanting to fish for Pike, which require a lot of care, to avoid damage. I think perhaps you should seek some instruction, or at least read up a bit, before you try and fish for pike, with respect.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org