Display problems

I have a bit of a problem with my display a bit hard to explain

Every so often my display goes black then come back. Its returns ok most of the time but then other times I'm loosing the edge of the display off the screen. If I press

ok on the monitor it flicks ok the auto config message from the monitor and everything returns to normal

I assume its the monitor on its last legs but haven't got another one to swop to at the moment

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

I have a bit of a problem with my display a bit hard to explain

Every so often my display goes black then come back. Its returns ok most of the time but then other times I'm loosing the edge of the display off the screen. If I press

ok on the monitor it flicks ok the auto config message from the monitor and everything returns to normal

I assume its the monitor on its last legs but haven't got another one to swop to at the moment

Could be a number of things.

First thing to try is turning off all screensavers and checking in power management to ensure monitor is not turned off after a given time period.

Second boot into safe mode," f8 on startup". See if the monitor does it in the same time period in safe mode. If it doesn't this will tell you it's either driver based or user profile based as opposed to hardware.

If it still does it your looking at hardware fault with either video card, cable or monitor. Cables is cheapest test, about £10 maximum from amazon.

To diagnose fully start at the basics

Change screen res to default of monitor. All LCD monitors have a default res, as do the older crt's. For instance most 19" are 1366 ish...a good 22" will run 1920*1080 etc

If your pushing a res too high for your monitor, either resolution or refresh rate then you might just get what your seeing.

So check video res and refresh rate.

If problem persists your down to swapping out video card or monitor and without new ones your on a struggle....

sometimes its as simple as a loose video connector

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Check all the connections are secure, if still doing it the only real way to find out is to use it on another pc, if the monitor still does it then get a new one, if not you will probably need a new video card. Best guess though the monitor is on its way out.