1st lure session

Anthony78

Very strange day today. Went on my first lure session and found it very hard going.Been a very bright day so I left it till around 7 o clock before going to my local canal but after trying every lure in my box I couldn't get a take :( . I just didn't seem to have the confidence and wasn't sure if I was working the lure correctly etc, Water was very coloured so I thought a bright colour would be best.

Was this a good decision??

tried slow retrieve and fast. Tried spinnerbaits, spoons, floating divers, even floating frogs danced along the reeds but nothing.

I did get a couple of splashes near my floatng diver after it hit the surface at the base of a lock but nothing hooked.

would these have been perch or chub??

does anybody have any tips for me regarding working lures? Anything please!!!!

Effort equals reward!!

Took me several sessions before I had any success with the lure. For a while back there I thought it was never going to happen and the whole world was playing a practical joke on me! All of a sudden it clicked and I started to catch a few. There have been plenty of blanks since, though ;-(

I'm not a very expert lure fisherman, but if I understand you right you've never caught anything on a lure. Sincere apol if I've got you wrong, but if that's correct I can certainly identify - that was true for me for ages.

In my view the best thing is to start fishing for perch, using a small spinner like a Mepps No 2. You'll soon want to move on to bigger lures, but it's such an encouragement to catch SOMETHING. I was amazed to discover that 4" perch would take such a lure!

Clouded water isn't good news spinning, but I'm sure you're right to use a bright lure. I note that you got a couple of splashes near a floating diver, but, even so, as (still) a beginner I usually get takes when I get the lure as low as possible in the water. The experts say you should try different depths, I know, and I'm sure this is right, but in my experience you're more likely to go above them than below them.

Good luck

john clarke

Anthony, just realised what your problem could be, now I'm not saying for sure but, in all my life I have never heard of Pike being present in the cut at Worcester, maybe well outside the City limits, as peryour your comment about reeds, although, as I said I've never heard of one, So as you suggested it could have been Perch.

[ 25. April 2004, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

quote:

Originally posted by Nugg:

.... in all my life I have never heard of Pike being present in the Cut at Worcester ...

Hmmm ... time to slip some pike* in, then, methinks ooops, on a Section 30 of course

DG

*And some zeds for good measure

P.S. This may sound obvious, but if it's your first lure-fishing trip on a new water, as Nugg says, you first need to establish that there are pike in the venue and the best way to find-out is to talk to the Match anglers and other Coarse anglers.

As for lures in coloured water, I would suggest small suspending plugs so that you can do stop 'n' start retrieves.

[ 25. April 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

to be honest I thought that pike existed in all canals but it would be very embarrassing to find out that there aren't any in there. I am fishing above the city centre above blackpole on the baa stretch. it does look very natural with lots of reeds and trees on the far bank but to be honest I havn't heard of any either. Although I will still go spinning as those perch attacking my lure has given me something to go back for. Thanks for the advice lads at least I know that I got most things right I'll just have to be patient.

ant

Effort equals reward!!

Smite, don't fish it much, had a 4 1/2lb Chub out last season, small Perch, and some skimmers, no sign of "Old Esox" there though.

Have to keep in touch and go on the Avon, for him, in the saeson, all the best of luck in the mean time.