What strenght line?

Inderblitz

Hey

Basically, i plan to fishing this weekend on my local lakes. I plan on going to the bigger of the two whcih contains smaller and double figure carp upto 20 pounds. Im bringing the quiver and float rod but plan on float mostly. I have four pound line with my float rod. MY main question is what pound line would you recomend for float fishing? I dont target a particualr fish, i like all of them.

Hey

Basically, i plan to fishing this weekend on my local lakes. I plan on going to the bigger of the two whcih contains smaller and double figure carp upto 20 pounds. Im bringing the quiver and float rod but plan on float mostly. I have four pound line with my float rod. MY main question is what pound line would you recomend for float fishing? I dont target a particualr fish, i like all of them.

Depends how snaggy it is. If it's fairly clear, you'll get away with the 4lb line and a soft actioned rod. If it's not, you may need to step up to 6lb or more.

My own preference, where there's chance of a proper lump, is to fish a main line of 8lb with a high-tech low diameter hooklength of 6 or 7 lb with a pound test curve, through action avon rod.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Whats the average carp size on the lake? If I was fishing a new water knowing the fish went up to 20lb i'd probably use an 8lb mainline.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Hey

There may be a limited BS at the fishery it’s worth finding out first. The important thing is to get the whole balance of line BS and your rod TC and even your hook size. Then look at the water. Are there many snags or lumps of weed and how competent are you as an angler. Any sharp bars?

All this will determine what you decide to do as with the limited information we have it’s hard to give advice?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Inder,

The maximum "weight" of a carp in water is determined by it's strength - not its weight (that's between a 15 and 33 lb carp the maximum effort is - on average plus or minus 15 lbs). As Dave H. says the balance of the line with the rod and reel can offset perhaps as much as 1/3 of the equation (you are now at about 12 bs). Skill and luck perhaps another 1/3 (the more skill you have the luckier you will be) - (you are now at about 4 lbs). All of this is for a clean venue. Venue challanges only lower your success rate.

I'd say, just off the top of my head an average to good angler will land 1/3 of all the fish over 15 lbs on 4 lb BS line - 95% of all fish under that weight (in a perfect environment). You can see how quickly the odds turn in your favor as line BS increases. It will be a personal decision. As for me - they are just fish and we have lots of them. Still, I use 12 lb line where carp are the likely target.

I have fished VERY little in England. However, with wild carp I have never found occasion to believe line diameter and the number of bites had any correlation.

Phone

Guest redfin2
Hey

Depends on what your rod is? If its a 'match' then you will be under-gunned generally if there are good doubles that you may want to land if you are lucky to have one attached. This time of year is normally OK for carp in the margins, but with the colder weather they may be less inclined to feed, but still that is what I would do ...fish the margins, and in most venues bread is a great bait, along with worms also. Try fishing very close in too, and keep low and tread lightly :)

As I said the match rod may not be the best rod for this, if you have a short stiffer rod so much the better, perhaps the quiver rod has an 'Avon' top? If so go with that, and you really will need 8lb line minimum, on a goodish reel that has a fighting drag.

Perhaps you can give out some more info on what tackle you do have?