Makin's

John Ellison

phil hackett:

I admit I don’t know Makin’s at all but I do have a question for you all – Why is BW a public funded quango, wanting to buy this private fishery?

Or put another way why is public money funding private profit?    :confused:        :confused:  

Have a look here for details of how BW are funded. They state that for every £ of public money they get they raise two more through commercial ventures. As fisheries is something they're pretty knowledgable about they obviously think they could make good money out of Makins, and they're probably right. I would suspect that the money to purchase it would have to come from their commerical side rather than their public funding, which in general is there to cover the maintenance of waterways.

[ 01. February 2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished there yesterday for the first time for a month. It is now sporting new BW signs, alarmingly with opening times of 7am to 5pm. If these hours are fixed and not seasonal, then this is a disaster for mainly warm weather weekday evening anglers like myself.

Thanks, I hoped that was the case. Unfortunately I only noticed the sign on the way out (at 17:40 ) so didn't ask the bailiff.

It will be interesting to see how often they change the times, and how strictly they are enforced. I hate having to pack up when there is still plenty of daylight left, the definition of dusk at these dawn to dusk fisheries usually does not match mine :(.

Chesters

Council tax for Suffolk county council is going up 20%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fu*$£"g disgraceful.

I wonder if I will get an extra set of bin bags?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 6 months later...

Haven't been to Makins for a while, so I took my 12 year old daughter there for the first time on an evening last week. Last time out at the usual local water she could not keep the decent sized carp she hooked out of the weed, so I thought a fairly featureless mud hole might be better (one advantage of these mud holes!). She had 6 carp in the 4lb to 7lb range, so was well pleased.

I was surprised to see that the posted closing time is still 10 pm, so I checked with the bailiff and you really can fish that late at the moment. I went back on Sunday evening with a decent torch (for the walk back to the car) and a starlite topped float, and as usual everyone else left well before dark. So if you want a pool to yourself, it's worth going late. The results in the margins in the last half hour or so of darkness weren't as good as I expected, one carp, one decent bream and a couple of barbel, with a 6lb barbel last cast.

a six pound barble last cast, and you didn't have another "last cast"?

i might go there one day but its a fair old trek from oop north.

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Nice to hear that you and your daughter had a nice day out its good to get the siblings out in the open air......it's a rare thing these days....however I am always concerned when I hear that species like barble and chub are stocked and caught in carp puddles the very nature of the animal says it belongs in flowing water.....surely its wrong to use fish of this type in this way!!!

I would be interested to know if anyone 'strongly' disagrees with me and if so why??

regards to one and all Tinca

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.