Oh b@ll@cks!!!!!!!!!! but sorted

RUDD

While fishing a commercial pool last Friday

I had my MAP carp mugger landing net handle coming from behind me, over my left knee while unhooking a 3lb carp.

I had not pulled the small 4th section (used to tip carp into keepnet) from the 3rd section.

The carp jumped out of my hand and back into the net.

Cracccccccccccccck!!!!!!!!

The small section cracked and split about 3 inches, the brass screw head also fell out.

Luckily I had some super glue in my box.

I glued the crack and held it toghether tight for 5 mins.

I then coated the brass screw head with glue and pushed it back in giving the surronding section a tight sqeeze.

Then I whipped 8lb mono half in inch from the crack right up to the brass head very tightly.

This was then coated with superglue.

Once dried the handle was fine.

I hope it holds out during future use!

Does anyone know what type of varnish rod whippings are finished with?

I want to coat the mono with some to give a bit of added strengh.

This is not the first time I have done bankside repairs with superglue and would recommend all anglers carry a tube.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've done a similar 'quick' fix with the tip of the second section of my pole. I whipped it with mono and 'varnished' with super glue ... I've snce had double figure carp on this pole.

Hello Rudd!

The best and most easy to use is any of those two component resin varnishes. Have used Flexcoat on most of my rods, works fine for me. These varnishes are quite similar to epoxy glue but dont dry so fast and gives a harder finish.

But, dont forget that it is the wipping that gives the strength and mono will get old and dry even if you put varnish on. Try ordinary wipping thread instead.

May your rod bend deep

Per

Per Mattsson:

Hello Rudd!

The best and most easy to use is any of those two component resin varnishes. Have used Flexcoat on most of my rods, works fine for me. These varnishes are quite similar to epoxy glue but dont dry so fast and gives a harder finish.

But, dont forget that it is the wipping that gives the strength and mono will get old and dry even if you put varnish on. Try ordinary wipping thread instead.

May your rod bend deep

Per

I will try and get some whipping thread and two component varnish.

I do have some aryildite, would that work?

RUDD

Araldite will work OK. But for this sort of repair, instead of thread, I'd use something like Kyston multistrand.

On occasion (like making a stalking rod), I've cut a 6' rod section in half. After fitting a spigot, I've then reinforced both the spigot male section to about 2", and the female section for the inserted length of the spigot, with windings of Multistrand. Once I've built up the thickness about 1mm using multistrand, I've varnished it with araldite rapid.

If you turn the rod slowly while heating the araldite gently with a hair dryer, it will go very smooth and look really good. When you have it looking good, take the hair dryer away and keep turning the rod slowly, to prevent drips forming. Once the glue sets, you can overwhip with thread, for a good cosmetic finish.

I see no reason why the same method wouldn't work on any sort of joint.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk Fairley:

Also, bear in mind that superglue is not intended as a permanent repair for anything at all really. It will actually breakdown when wet.

I am lead to belive that superglue was invented during the Vietnam war to quickly seal or hold wounds togehter while transporting wounded soldiers from the battlefield to a field hospital.

Dont know if true but it does glue your fingers togehter nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

quote:

Originally posted by Dunk Fairley:

Also, bear in mind that superglue .... will actually breakdown when wet.

Except the water-proof formulations of it, of course

_______________________ Posted Image

... and I have to say that, even with the bog-standard cheapo versions e.g. from £land,

_________ Posted Image

12 tubes for a squid! Can't grumble at that. Maybe take a tad longer to cure than Loctite, but in fact the finished glue seems stronger (only a feeling in my water, though, no pukka tests to back that up }

I've never noticed any breakdown or weakening of superglue e.g. on mini-crimps where I fill them with superglue rather than crimp.

DG

[ 04. June 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

RUDD:

...during the Vietnam war to quickly seal or hold wounds togehter while transporting wounded soldiers from the battlefield to a field hospital

Rudd

Not invented expressly for this purpose but has been used that way.

Superglue (cyanoacrylate)was discovered by Kodak when they were doing some research into clear plastics for gun sights.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote