malta - it's that time of year

phil dean

Phil get in touch with their fishing club - kingfisher - do a google search. I finished up fishing with their treasurer Alex Cianti. You will find photos of me on their visitors gallery. Hope this helps Phil. :)

OK, the malta fishing forum site admin chap is almost as helpful as Newt (I know you thought it wasn't possible), he's cleared up some points for me and the other guys on his site are very helpful.

Snatcher, will do, how are the tope going?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Hi, this isn't meant to be a detailed instructional, it's just a short piece of advice based on my recent stay at the waterfront hotel GZira, on the town boundary with Sliema. I've posted a virtually identical piece on www.maltafishingforum.com

Firstly, it is hot, especially in august when I was there. Success is mostly had in the few hours after sunrise and before and into dusk. I didn't do any night fishing as there are too many great bars and restaurants to visit. I'd leave my room after about 5am and fish until 9.30am, I thentried to steel an hour whilst my wife was getting changed at around 6.30pm.

The most common bait used by shore anglers that I could see was bread, normally mixed into a paste with cheese or anything else that takes their fancy, squeezed onto a paternoster pair of hooks fished to hand under a heavy sea float on a whip style pole of between 5 and 7 metres (its at least 3m deep through most of the harbour and at the Fortina hotel was at least 4m straight down. It is weighted about 3 inches (8cm) above the hooks. The rig has to be whiped out (literally) and the bait re applied every 30 -40 seconds. Though effective it is repetative and most put ins do not result in a hook up, the bait being plundered by tiny fish before the bigger ones can get to it. The method can also result in foul hooked fish due to the speed of bringing the rig out of the water.

a similar rig is used but without the float and with a larger weight. The angler waits until the fish pulls the tip down before lifting into the fish, this is also effective but has the same downsides as the float.

On my first morning on stepping out of the hotel, armed with a box of coarse fishing tackle and a 3.3m telescopic rod i realised I was ill equiped to follow these styles if I wanted to fish on the bottom. I did have minor success fishing mid water , particularly with the weighted method fished where the water was only 3m deep (outside the waterfront hotel thankfully), however the frustration of having bait robbed made me reduce the size of hook down to a size 24, and the fish caught on that method, though numerous, were so small as to be insignificant on my rod, i decided a change of plan was needed.

Thankfully, on this first morning I had the almost immediate benefit of the maltese incredible generosity. I asked a young chap who was ledgering with a similar sized telescopic rod , what he was using for bait? After a short chat he insisted that i take a full packet of a preserved shrimp with me. This packet lasted me a couple of sessions and was an absolute boon.

I rigged this up to the small float rig with a size 16 hook. On the first bite I was into a fish, a small wrasse of about 1oz (25g). This was followed by small bream and more wrasse, the largest going to about 3oz (75g), still small but at least I could tell I had them on. The little fish were still stripping the hook, but my hook up rate increased dramatically.

Again, i got a bit bored of small fish and changed to a size 6 hook fished with a running lead. I cast this out between the two larger Captain Morgan boats, just beyond the length of them. After a 10 minute wait I got a strange twitch. I struck into something which started gliding towards me with very little fight. I landed a gurnard type fish (one of the boat crew called it a flying fish but I don't think it fley out of the water), it made a croaking sound like a french grunt. At a little over 8oz it was my best fish of the day.

Nothing else came to the ledgered bait other than occasional small wrasse which gorged the hook, so i changed back for a few more small bream, it was nearing 9.30 and the fishing was slowing down, so I called it a day and went for a late breakfast.

DAY 1 fishing over, day 2 to follow.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

:) Hi, this isn't meant to be a detailed instructional, it's just a short piece of advice based on my recent stay at the waterfront hotel GZira, on the town boundary with Sliema. I've posted a virtually identical piece on www.maltafishingforum.com

Firstly, it is hot, especially in august when I was there. Success is mostly had in the few hours after sunrise and before and into dusk. I didn't do any night fishing as there are too many great bars and restaurants to visit. I'd leave my room after about 5am and fish until 9.30am, I thentried to steel an hour whilst my wife was getting changed at around 6.30pm.

The most common bait used by shore anglers that I could see was bread, normally mixed into a paste with cheese or anything else that takes their fancy, squeezed onto a paternoster pair of hooks fished to hand under a heavy sea float on a whip style pole of between 5 and 7 metres (its at least 3m deep through most of the harbour and at the Fortina hotel was at least 4m straight down. It is weighted about 3 inches (8cm) above the hooks. The rig has to be whiped out (literally) and the bait re applied every 30 -40 seconds. Though effective it is repetative and most put ins do not result in a hook up, the bait being plundered by tiny fish before the bigger ones can get to it. The method can also result in foul hooked fish due to the speed of bringing the rig out of the water.

a similar rig is used but without the float and with a larger weight. The angler waits until the fish pulls the tip down before lifting into the fish, this is also effective but has the same downsides as the float.

On my first morning on stepping out of the hotel, armed with a box of coarse fishing tackle and a 3.3m telescopic rod i realised I was ill equiped to follow these styles if I wanted to fish on the bottom. I did have minor success fishing mid water , particularly with the weighted method fished where the water was only 3m deep (outside the waterfront hotel thankfully), however the frustration of having bait robbed made me reduce the size of hook down to a size 24, and the fish caught on that method, though numerous, were so small as to be insignificant on my rod, i decided a change of plan was needed.

Thankfully, on this first morning I had the almost immediate benefit of the maltese incredible generosity. I asked a young chap who was ledgering with a similar sized telescopic rod , what he was using for bait? After a short chat he insisted that i take a full packet of a preserved shrimp with me. This packet lasted me a couple of sessions and was an absolute boon.

I rigged this up to the small float rig with a size 16 hook. On the first bite I was into a fish, a small wrasse of about 1oz (25g). This was followed by small bream and more wrasse, the largest going to about 3oz (75g), still small but at least I could tell I had them on. The little fish were still stripping the hook, but my hook up rate increased dramatically.

Again, i got a bit bored of small fish and changed to a size 6 hook fished with a running lead. I cast this out between the two larger Captain Morgan boats, just beyond the length of them. After a 10 minute wait I got a strange twitch. I struck into something which started gliding towards me with very little fight. I landed a gurnard type fish (one of the boat crew called it a flying fish but I don't think it fley out of the water), it made a croaking sound like a french grunt. At a little over 8oz it was my best fish of the day.

Nothing else came to the ledgered bait other than occasional small wrasse which gorged the hook, so i changed back for a few more small bream, it was nearing 9.30 and the fishing was slowing down, so I called it a day and went for a late breakfast.

DAY 1 fishing over, day 2 to follow.

:lol: I was there a few times many yours ago, mainly small fish from the shore but some decent mullet of a couple of pounds if you ground bait in the harbour, I found bacon fat good because it stayed on the hook.

When diving I saw some big grouper 50lb +, there are also a dorado type fish, forget its name paluky of something, can catch them on bait or lures, also moray eels and scad type things. :lol:

Well that was day 1, on day two I decided to have a walk over to St Julians armed with shrimp and some bread paste I arrived in the bay below the Barracuda restaurant at about 5.45am (its only a 10 minute walk up and over the hill behind the hotel but I was late getting up due to too much CISK).

I fed some bread crust and fished a small speck of prawn on the hook. My first fish was a good bream, about 10 oz (250g), there were a shoal of large mullett in the bay so I tried bread crust but they knocked it off the hook so i decided to outwit them when the shops had opened (i've fished for mullett alot over the years so have some tricks up my sleeve). The prawn on the bottom was turning up a snapper like fish. Suddenly the rod whipped round and I struck into.....nothing, the line had parted behind the hook.

I changed down my gear and coaght a very small bream which I put onto an 0/1 hook under a bubble float and put this out. The hook was fastend on with 20lb ( about 9kg) line. After an hour of watching the float dipped, i struck and bumped a fish.........bother.

I cast out again but nothing. At 9am I went back as we were going on a trip. Day 2 over, but that evening I picked up a croissant from the star cafe in my hotel for use on day 3, I wanted a mullet. I also called into the tackle shop opposit Manoal Island Filling Station and collected a box of worms as my prawn had run low.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

day 3 arrived and, having learnt some lessons (i hoped) from the previous day I arrived below the barracuda with plenty of bread, croisant and some small rag worms.

I threw out some whole small bread buns to float about about 10m out and set up the rod with a clear carp controler float about 2m above the hook, the hook length being attached with a double blood knot. The hooklength was 5lb fluorocarbon and the hook a size 14 carp hook. There was no additional weight, the float being held in position with rubbers.

As bait I'd tied on one of the bread buns with a half hitch just above the hook and put croisant on the hook. The greesy consistancy of the croisant means it floats well but doesn't get soggy and fall off as quickly as bread.

A lot of small fish attacked the bread and I had a couple of acceidental captures, one small mullet and one of the small bream (very small, the hook shouldn't have fit in its mouth.

at about 7am some larger fish starting trying to make the bread break up. I watched my piece of croisant and the bun it was attached to. Eventually a pair of lips went round it, SLAM, the rod went round and I was into a decent fish.

I tried to keep it away from the shoal but the quality of the rod didn't help (if you are taking rods over take a decent 3 piece 1.5 tc carp rod, shimano may do a take apart), eventually I landed a lovely mullet just under 2lb i'd guess ( under a kilo), but the fight had knackered any chances with the bigger fish which had dispersed.

I set up the rod to fish for bits with worm, caught a couple and set these up under a float. Nothing happened, I changed depth, fiddled about, did all the usuall, but before long it was 9am and was getting hot, time for breakfast again.

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

day 4 came and it was time for a trip, we were booked on a Malta Highlights trip, starting at the Blue Grotto (very deep water and guys seemed to be fishing the pole and bread tactic), going up to Mdina (lovely but wanted more time to go round the palaces which look fabulous instead saw the "Knights of Malta" video was OK but I wouldn't rush back)) eating a crap meal in a restaurant in Rabat (not impressed) going to a group of craft shops (my god how dull) going in the church at mosta (stunning- a must see) and finally getting back to the hotel.

I got back for about 4.30pm so headed out at 5pm whilst "she who must be obeyed" had a lie down. I sat in front of the waterfront with a link ledger rig with the last of the worms. After a couple of bream and a Burqax (Painted Comber) I was being hammered by tiny bits again. I had a walk up to the Fortina to see a huge shoal of pinhead sized fish next to the shore. These were being targeted by large black fish 9I assume bass), large grey fish with a blue stripe (similar to Jacks or Tuna, when I say large they were at least 5 or 6lb (3kg ish), there were also a thin gar type fish hitting them near the surface (needle fish for the yanks), and some of the bream working them to the surface and taking fish at that point.

I had a rubber shad with a jig head in my box, much larger than the pin heads, but I hoped the bass type fish might have a go.

I worked this around the shoal and a couple of the larger fish did show interest (I always wear poloroids so could sea quite well in the incredibly clear water, even in the harbour), but nothing hit.

I resigned myself to fishing worm on the bottom and trying to entice some of these predators by giving the worm some motion by jigging it. This did result in a lot of takes from bream and combers, up to a few oz (say 75g) but none of the larger ones.

I headed back to the shop for some spinners and smaller rubber "eels" and then went to wake the boss up before finding solace from the afternoons shopping trip over a nice meal and a few hopleafs.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Nice one Phil,great reports. Did you try flyfishing with my "breadflies"?? Yup its a lovely country and the folk aint half friendly. Did you meet up with Alex Cianti??? a really nice bloke who took me out on his boat.

Just a thought to guys who may be going out there.Take out two rods,one for the small stuff and one (wire trace) with a dead bait/live bait on! Shy bairns get nowt ;)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I didn't take a decent rod with backbone, which turned out to be a mistake, nor did I take the fly rod. so no chance to play this time.

Day 5 started, as usual, warm.....I walked up to the Fortina and set up with 20klb line through to a drilled bullet and a size 6 hook onto which i slipped a worm.

I jigged this along the bottompicking up the odd small fish as I went . A few bass were lurking but I couldn't see the baitfish. I changed down to a size 20 hook with a sliver of worm and hooked a small silver fish about 6cm long. A short change later and he was set up about 2m below the float.

The water was very very clear, I watched 3 times over a half hour period as the bass approached the bait only to leave it just at the last minute.

I changed gear again, this time for a rubber silver shad with a 25g jig head. after another 30 or 40 minutes I was bored and had had no takes. I went back to the worm but this time on a size 10 hook. A few wrasse, combers and bream, the largest going to 100g, but nothing large.

Eventually it was back for breakfast and a chance to make plans.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I would have killed for an 8# fly rod and a range of lines and a box of flies, something would have worked, I'm certain of it, most of the fish i watched were more interested in a moving bait than a static one.

Day 6 was a brief trip as I had to catch a boat at 9.30 which meant my wife's 1 hour prearation to get up had to start early.

I went straight for the worms at the fortina with the lead weight and a size 10 hook. The water wasn't as clear as before and I was straight in to fish up to 4 oz (100g). They were coming quickly and I soon got bored (i do), so I changed to a larger hook (size 1/0) and used one of the fish, lip hooked, as bait.

I worked this, sink and draw, for 25 minutes before the rod was nearly ripped from my hands. I was on 20lb line again but the crap structure of the rod really didn't help ( a bad workman always blames his tools, I know), after what felt like an age, but was probably less than 5 minutes, i finally dragged the fish along the surface, but having no landling net had to reach down. It was a bass type fish, and knowing they have some nasty spines in the UK, I didn't want to handle it. Using long nosed forceps I removed the hook with the fish still supported by the water. It flicked its tail and was gone, it's half eaten meal was halfway up the line.

At about 4 - 5lb (say 2kg), it was my best fish by some margin.

I cut the last foot of line off and re tied the rig and fished with a handline down the edge with worm for some bait. I was soon baited up again but nothing else showed and it was soon time to call it a day.

The trip was a round the island boat trip on one of the captain morgan boats. Though I love malta I wouldn't recommend this on a hot august day. There is no entertainment but there is a commentary however for the hour or so that you are sailing from before the Blue Grotto up to the beaches to the north, there is nothing to see, which would have been find had there been dancing etc, but sat in a little chair, crammed in between other tourists, in the raging heat, it was not fun. If you are going to do this journey go on one of the sailing boats as they at least had some music and weren't quite as cramped. We finally arrived at the blue lagoon on comina which is very clear water. I fished from the side of the boat but the fish were hook and line shy and the 20lb rig I still had on was not going to work. I added a small hook and caught some pretty yellow fish with blue lines, all less than 1oz (25g), before coming back across the north of the island.

I would do the comina/blue lagoon trip but wouldn't choose the round malta tour as a way of getting there.

Day 6 over, not much left, Day 7 was a trip around Gozo which is lovely and also seems to have some fantastic fishing potential, that was a very enjoyable trip including the anciant temples, only a brief stop at some shops (30 minutes which was livable) and a chance to see some of the stunning churches, I'll type up day 8's report tomorrow.

cheers

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

A bit late I know, but her we go with day 8.

I arrived at the fortina to find 4 anglers with larger rods cast out. The water was clear again so i started by bouncing a worm towards the top of the pool area at the fortina. I got the odd bump and an occasional small fish but the fishing was slow. I came round to below the gates, just below the flash new bridge and apartments (it does look nice from the outside). The water was shollower here and very clear and ai spooked a couple of bass whilst walking.

After a couple of combers, wrasse and bream I deep hooked a wrasse. I cut the line rather than doing surgery but i must have punctured the swim bladder with my hook as the fish sank gently to the bottom.

Thinking nothing more of it i fished on, after about 20 minutes two snake like shapes, brown mottled, came through the water near to where the fish were, they seemed to come out of knowhere. They writhed over each other like dancing cobras. Each weighing about between 1 and 2lb i guess (less than a kilo) they were not large examples of moray eels, but they were the forst i'd seen on this side of the atlantic.

You've probably guessed by now, but I caught a couple of small bits, re rigged on a size 2 hook with the 20lb line, and fished these hard on the bottom on a running ledger set up, setting my reel on baitrunner position, waiting for a bite.

Bearing in mind they'd arrived within 20 minutes of that fish dieing, i waited for 2 hours without a bite. They were still about, as I caught fed a little fish in, and sure enough they came round again, but the gear i was using must have shown up like a christmas tree at a barmitzpah.

Some mullett came round and i fiddled on with the bread, for a few minutes before I had to leave. Again no success, though one of the guys nearbye was doing the, must now be famous, roll of bread with 10 hooks wrapped round it waiting to snag a fish. He had one medium fish (6oz or so/ under 200g), but nothing to write home about.

Now I don't know what you think about the tactic, personally if you're catching for the pot, I have no problems with it, though it's not particularly sporting, but their must be a better way as potentially you could end up foulhooking 3 or 4 undersize fish which just end up feeding the cat.............anyway it was more succesful than my (sporting) method, which gives it a tick in my box.

I finally headed off, burnt and, to be honest, beaten. It was time for breakfast and a plan for my final day, day 9.

Just to add, i had my first lampuki that night at pebbles restaurant on the Sliema front, it was excellent, well cooked and very reasonable to me at 17E. By this stage we had decided that this was our preferred restaurant near the hotel, though we also liked the one next to the band club in St Julian, but after a hard day sun bathing, eating a drinking, walking to St Julian was not attractive.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY