Anyone a member at Berry Hill?

mic

Hi is anyone in here a member? Am thinking about joining but would like to hear from someone who has actually fished it, if its any good etc etc

cheers!

www.berkshirefishing.info

Hi Mic!

I think that you are talking of Bury Hill, near Taplow, Maidenhead and not the "other Bury Hill Fishery.

In the past, I was a member of Kingsmoor Anglers for a good number of years before moving to another part of the country.

At this precise moment I can't tell you what the current fishing is like but I will contact a mate who is still a club member and pass any news on to you.

My memories of the lake (early 70's to early 90's)......lovely place.... typically "old school" (real BB stuff!) with mysterious carp of unknown size and very, very private. It was originally an ornamental lake with overhanging willows, a small island (which the carp knew all about! :wallbash: ) and a dilapidated old boathouse. The area surrounding the lake was wooded with all manner of exotic shrubs and trees. It lay at the foot of a hill upon which stood "the big house". As with all good small estate lakes, the carp were old strain (Leney's I do recall) and the lake really took on a different air at night!

Honestly...... it really was like that!

From memory,the carp that were in there averaged around the 20's (nothing huge but boy..they were mean!) but a couple of 30's were recorded.

Back in the late 90's the lake suffered a sudden water loss with serious consequences to the fish stocks :headhurt: .(I think it was something to do with some road widening works quite near the to outfall cill which resulted in it collapsing).

A small number of fish were rescued and moved temporarily to their Moor Lane Fishery. After lengthy legal battles, the problem was rectified, the lake refilled and restocked but not with the original fish (if my memory serves correctly!)

Sorry to be such a "downer", but from my last enquiries a couple of years back, the lake hadn't returned to it's former glory. The mud and silt had dried right out in some quite large areas thereby losing a lot of well established plantlife and invertibrates. Some trees had been removed and "the big house" had gone.

As I say, as soon as I've spoken with my old fishing partner I'll relay more "up to date" info for you...watch this space!

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Hi again Mic,

I've just had a quick glance at the Kingsmoor Anglers website and yes, you spelt it correctly, Berry Hill and not Bury Hill as I stated. They have even abbreviated Kingsmoor (one word!) Anglers to K.M.A. :doh:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain that it was always spelt with a U back when I was a member.

I am quite horrified at what I saw in their photograph, they have practically turned it into a "carp puddle"! It is definately the same lake that I fished but I just can't believe what they've done! :cry:

I wonder if they changed the spelling due to the common confusion with the other Bury Hill when they landscaped (read destroyed) the original lake! Looks like a golf course runs down to the water's edge now! Maybe with "creating" a totally new fishery it was decided to change the spelling.......whatever, the beautiful original lake has gone!

As promised I will contact you with further info.

Cheers!

lol thanks!

its only a 15 min walk from mine so perfect for day/night fishing or even just a couple of hours whilst the wife is out shopping!

if its any good to fish, of course....

Hi Mic,

I 've just got off the "phone". Yes it is still quite a good fishery although my mate agrees that it is now quite manicured compared to how it originally was (progress?). Apparently it's well stocked and maintained with plenty of carp, bream, tench, crucians etc. but not stuffed like a commercial.

My "Mate" stirred the old cells and I now recall that the devasting fish loss happened when they started digging the Jubilee Relief Channel. As he doesn't fish Berry Hill now due to interesting waters elsewhere, he couldn't comment upon it's most recent results. Good luck if you should decide to go ahead with it and if you night fish it, give my regards to "The Grey Lady" (stay clear of the old boathouse at night!).

thanks very much for that, am struggling with what decision to make as theres a few clubs local with Berry Hill almost on the doorstep and the others a drive away. Cant decide!!

If your talking about Bury hill then yes i used to be a member but if not then wunwetfoot posts is the one to read!

do they do no carp fishing memberships?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

OLD BURY HILL LAKE Dorking Surrey. sounds like thereare a few Bury hills that have Good fishing . Back in 1958 this was a great Tench Pike Roach fishery I remember some wonderfull days of my Boyhook this is a Magical place that epitamises the British ANgler, For Fish or Peace one Fids ample bounty of both.

do they do no carp fishing memberships?

Yes but only dawn to dusk I do know on the carp lake they were thinking about allowing night fishing but never knew the outcome. There are some cracking carp in there if that's your bag....I know there is a long waiting list though.

Go for the Zander there are some real crackers in there but best to wait until October when fair weather anglers have gone and leap frog swims.....Not easy to get them out but if you find the shoal you are in with a good size one ...maybe :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon