Waggler or not?

DJBaker86

After many years ive decided to get back into fishing.... Only problem i seem to be having is i find nowdays i have forgotten more than i know and there is soooo much different fishing tactics then i can browse at. Many sites seem to say the traditional rod,reel,float and basic hook are not good enough for carp fishing anymore is this the case and if so please can someone give me some basic guidence as half these websites seem designed for people with common sense/knowledge of these methods lol.

"Many sites seem to say the traditional rod,reel,float and basic hook are not good enough for carp fishing anymore"

There have been huge improvements in rods over the years and some interesting baits with different ways you can rig them but for the most part, what worked for you years ago will work now on most waters.

Tackle dealers want to tout the newest whiz bang gear and Angling sites & magazines want to attract readers/buyers so will tend mostly to talk about those same whiz bang gear & rigs. Some of the new stuff they push actually do work and if you want to fish an area that is difficult/impossible with a standard rod/float approach, there are probably specialty solutions. Can they help? Yes. Are they essential? No, not usually.

If you give an idea of what gear you have, what sort of waters you will be fishing, and what species you want to target, you can get some excellent ideas and information here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

After many years ive decided to get back into fishing.... Only problem i seem to be having is i find nowdays i have forgotten more than i know and there is soooo much different fishing tactics then i can browse at. Many sites seem to say the traditional rod,reel,float and basic hook are not good enough for carp fishing anymore is this the case and if so please can someone give me some basic guidence as half these websites seem designed for people with common sense/knowledge of these methods lol.

Welcome back. There is so much waffle written about fishing and carp in particular. Have a look at my blog at http://www.stivestackle.blogspot.co.uk/ and you will see I have been doing some old style fishing. I used a commercial waggler rod, which is basically a float rod with a bit more backbone to play carp, spooled with 10lb line and a 24in braided hooklength to a size 12 boilie hook baited with a single grain of corn. The float was a 3 AA waggler by the way.

A handfull of sweetcorn sprayed round the float every half hour or so and you can see the result.

Fishing is essentially simple, if you dont catch its usually down to there being no fish in front of you and not the wrong bait , rig etc that some would have you believe.

Good luck.

Mike.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp