Six Shooter problem

spamhill

Have a problem with my Six Shooter Baitcaster, everything is fine, casting retrieving etc but the star drag where ever it's positioned is exactly the same and is really weak, any thoughts.

They are harder to catch up North

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using braid ? If so it might be only loosely attached to the spool. If that is the case then whatever you set your star drag to, all of the line will slip around the spool in one chunk at very low tension.

Remedy....slacken off the star drag, its not good news for the reel if its left tightened. Then strip off all of the braid. Next do one of two things, I prefer the second method....its neater.

Either....run on 15/20 TIGHT turns of 15/20lb mono, attach your braid to the end of the mono with a surgeons knot and then wind on the braid to just below the edge of the spool.

OR.... knot and take 10 TIGHT winds of the braid onto the empty spool, then wind on two stretched turns of insulating tape (electricians tape)Then continue winding the braid over the tape to just below the edge of the spool.

Either way it pays to make the first winding of new braid onto an empty spool as tight as possible. Easiest way to achieve this is to to dampen a kitchen cloth and wind on the braid whilst running it through the damp cloth under tension from your non winding hand.

[ 24. June 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

What Gerry says re braid is very true.Ive had loads of multipliers brought to me for "repair" due to this!

But as far as the reel goes...get rid of it mate they are a serious piece of junk!Try and get a second hand ABU.A massive difference.

And it aint often I say that about a piece of tackle!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

One of my new years resolutions was to be kinder and less harsh on anglers who use rubbishy tackle, but as usual Budgie is absolutely right. There was a previous thread on six shooters on which I was less kind. Go to 'search' and type in 'pants' it should come up :)

All baitcaster roads lead to ABU or Shimano. Thats where we all end up after wasting money on cheaper options. ABU is a better bet on a limited budget..more good used examples about and cheaper than good used Shimanos

There was a guy on the AN 'sale/wanted forum' a month ago looking for a spare spool for his thirty year old Shimano Bantam. He was a pro reel repairer. There are pikers out there still using 25 year old ABU 5000s. Can't get better recommendations than that.

[ 24. June 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Tis a very nice reel, but more suited to US bass & UK perch and zander. Personally I'd go for an Ambassadeur 5501CL3, more suited to UK pike fishing, in my opinion.

Yes, the Six Shooter is total pants.

[ 24. June 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Thanks Argyl, I'll try that, yes I'm using braid. Fox Driftmaster, as reccomended by Mick Brown. Not sure if it's any good 30lb, casts easy enough. What's the best type of snap type link to use for connecting the lure as at the start I had those old type which just pull out and lose your lures. Have changed to Berkley ones which seem much stronger.

Must have been typing when you posted there Peter. I must get me one of those Abu's. As this seems to cast ok the Abu must be a dream. I must say this lure fishing is a bit of an obsession. It's also not cheap. Isaw a guy the other day on the river tees with a very nice collection of lures real big ones and loads of them.Similar to Matt Hayes when he's on a boat showing off cos he gets his for nowt. Daren't think how much they all cost.

Mick would recommend Fox lines! He's sponsored by 'em!!

I personally think that the finest link from trace to lure is the Gemini Geni Snood link, available from all good sea angling type shops.

Go to http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/frame.htm and have a look, blessed perfect for the job and nothing to come undone. Can't praise 'em enough. Just open the 'links' page.

[ 24. June 2005, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Noticed the pins for life bit. I love them too, I have a adcock stanton circa 1950 which narrowly escaped a garage theft of my gear. I did buy a new okuma pin and it is lovely