Hameln garrison fishing club BOAR 1970/80's

Crucian

Hello all,

As a new member, this is my first post.

Whilst browsing 'Anglers net' this evening for the first time, I noticed a face and a nickname that was familiar to me, this took me down memory lane, back to my Army days and the time I spent in BOAR . We mainly fished the river Weser both for pleasure and in regular competitions both among ourselves and with our German hosts. An interesting aspect of our fishing was the newly formed specimen group, started and run, I believe, by an 'Anglers Net' member from the Kent area.

Being a new member, I am, understandably, a little restricted as to how I post and contact other members. However, if the member concerned wishes to contact me, please do so, I would love to hear from you again. Not being very computer 'savvy', I'm not too sure how this can be done, any suggestions appreciated.

I hope all members have had a good start to the new season.

Thanks for a great site.

Best regards,

Paul.

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net.

Once you reach 15 posts, you will have full use of the site including PMs so you can send a message to anyone you like and they can send to you.

In the meantime and if you wish, I can give your email address to someone who wants to contact you - but only with your permission.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

The person I am trying to contact is 'Budgie' Burgess. If you could give him my email address please. We haven't spoken since I left Germany in the early 1980's.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul.

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net.

Once you reach 15 posts, you will have full use of the site including PMs so you can send a message to anyone you like and they can send to you.

In the meantime and if you wish, I can give your email address to someone who wants to contact you - but only with your permission.

Hi Newt,

I forgot to mention that the member I wish to contact is Dick Dastardly.

Thanks and regards,

Paul.

I will with pleasure. Budgie is an old friend.

Newt

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I still fish the Weser now and then. A brilliant river but not so many fish as back in the day.

I was in the UK back in March at the Big One show, selling DVDs from the world championships.

Got talking to some chap about the weser, and how he used to fish it a lot. He could even speak abit of German.

Was,t one of you lot was it?

Jayson

I last fished the Weser in '82, drove through the night from Berlin to take part in a British forces match. I remember doing all right on feeder tactics too until a barge came too close and fast and a wave rubbed my keepnet againt a bit of old 'wriggly tin' and tore a hole in it.

I was in Minden from '74 until late '77 with the Weser running right through the town, but I hadn't really got into that type of coarse fishing then, fishing was spinning for trout and perch in the Hertz mountains.

I speak German too (especially about fishin') but it wasn't me at that show.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I still fish the Weser now and then. A brilliant river but not so many fish as back in the day.

I was in the UK back in March at the Big One show, selling DVDs from the world championships.

Got talking to some chap about the weser, and how he used to fish it a lot. He could even speak abit of German.

Was,t one of you lot was it?

Jayson

Hi Jayson,

It's nice to hear that there are still some fish in the Weser, it was a brilliant river to fish in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It had everything an angler could wish for, we used to fish a summer league, organised amongst ourselves and soldiers from our sister regiment in Hameln and it often produced in excess of 50lb of mainly roach in a 3 hour match. The sidestreams were good fishing when the river was in flood in the winter, most of the roach would go a pound and often better, this was on 3lb line straight through to a size 14 and double maggot. It would produce good bream in numbers from the slower stretches, the occasional barbel and even odd carp and some biggish chub. We often caught a fish called a 'nase' (not sure I've spelt that correctly, it means 'nose' in german) they were like a cross between a roach and a barbel, loveley fish of around 2/3lb that fought like tigers. Eels were plentiful too.

It probably was an ex soildier you were talking to, most of us picked up a bit of the language.

I would be interested to hear how the river is fishing. I have fond memories of it, the best river I ever fished.

Best regards,

paul.

I last fished the Weser in '82, drove through the night from Berlin to take part in a British forces match. I remember doing all right on feeder tactics too until a barge came too close and fast and a wave rubbed my keepnet againt a bit of old 'wriggly tin' and tore a hole in it.

I was in Minden from '74 until late '77 with the Weser running right through the town, but I hadn't really got into that type of coarse fishing then, fishing was spinning for trout and perch in the Hertz mountains.

I speak German too (especially about fishin') but it wasn't me at that show.

Hi Emma,

I have fished the Weser many times at Minden and almost certainly fished the same match in 1982. I was posted back to the UK the same year. I remember the Hartz mountains well, there was some good trout fishing in the streams around Goslar (hope I have spelt that correctly). Good skiing too.

Hope you enjoyed fishing the Weser, I would love to go back and fish it again.

Weren't those big barges something else, I have seen anglers and loads of gear washed into the river with the wash......good times.

Best regards,

Paul.

Brings back good memories Paul.What a great river the Wasser was.Strange how the roach suddenly dissapeared though wasnt it? Ive not been back to Hameln for many years but when I was traveling through Germany regularly (when fishing in Czechoslovakia) I often considered a "detour" for old times sake!

Amazing how the carp scene (both with squaddies and Germans) has exploded since then! I remember when we fished Deckbergen, Wibeck (sp?) and the likes for Carp and the locals would be allways comming up and fiddling (and giggling at as well!) with my Optonics! They were still very much in the days of 8m telescopic "Big Bertha" rods,treble hooks and pototoes then!

I enjoyed my match/pleasure fishing on the river back in those days (even though I was never that good at the match fishing unlike you!) but do now regret a little that I didnt try to explore the big fish potential on the river a bit more.

Like I said though good days.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!