Making your own groundbait

Akimbo Rob

Hi I've looked through the board and not found a topic which really relates to what i want to ask, I'm currently making my own groundbait using an old coffee grinder and a couple of loaves of bread, now i've been experimenting with different flavors some which are brilliant and some which are just horrible, has anyone else had experience of making thier own groudbaits and what flavorings do you use to get a good feeding session going in your swim???

I'm currently catching a lot on chocolate, cinnamon and cheese, but i'm after some new ideas to try and get some specimen fish rather than the 50 skimmers i'm usually catching

Cheers Rob

swinghook8.gif

"You hold the future in your hands, teach catch and release"

My Blog:- A Fishermans Dream

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strawberry has been a long time favorite of mines for tench. ive used strawberry essence or the strawberry powder you get to make strawberry milk. nessquick or something i think its called ? someone also suggested here a long time ago another type of strawberry mix that makes a sort of mousse but cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

tuna would be another good flavor.

Hi I've looked through the board and not found a topic which really relates to what i want to ask, I'm currently making my own groundbait using an old coffee grinder and a couple of loaves of bread, now i've been experimenting with different flavors some which are brilliant and some which are just horrible, has anyone else had experience of making thier own groudbaits and what flavorings do you use to get a good feeding session going in your swim???

I'm currently catching a lot on chocolate, cinnamon and cheese, but i'm after some new ideas to try and get some specimen fish rather than the 50 skimmers i'm usually catching

Cheers Rob

I like to add in some chopped worm, coupled with casters mixed with any bread based mix.

Works for me :P

the liquid flavours are good i like the ones below but other tackle companys are good

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/van_den_..._additives.html

you only need to add a little to some water and improves plain bread crumb mix

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

the liquid flavours are good i like the ones below but other tackle companys are good

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/van_den_..._additives.html

you only need to add a little to some water and improves plain bread crumb mix

asda, sainsbury, tesco etc etc do small bottles of strong additive for about £0.30p - £0.45p used in baking which im sure is much stronger in flavour than a tackle manufacturers bottled stuff which is probably the same thing ?

asda, sainsbury, tesco etc etc do small bottles of strong additive for about £0.30p - £0.45p used in baking which im sure is much stronger in flavour than a tackle manufacturers bottled stuff which is probably the same thing ?

a very good tip :thumbs:

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

using only crushed dog biscuit(mixers) and strawberry essence stuff i made a 2.5kg bag of strawberry groundbait for just under £2. think ill use cat biscuits next time though apparently they have a higher oil content.

I have been making my own groundbaits for years and instead of the time consuming method you are using would suggest you buy a sack of brown crumb as a base - much easier that mucking around with bread.

Also if you want a stickier mix buy some white crumb to add.

If I am fishing in the summer I make add fishmeal - again bought in a sack - can be expensive BUT work out much cheaper than shop bought ready made stuff.

In winter I add bun mix - the spices used in hot cross buns.

The baking section in a supermarket holds many flavours / additives to try - bottled hemp oil is good for the summer or one of the best attractors out there - molasses can be bought in bulk cheaper than in tackle shops.

If you want a meaty groundbait liquidize a tin of cheap meat ans prinkle in an oxo or two then add to a fishmeal/crumb mix.

For chocolate, vanilla or strawberry use milkshake powder, angel delight or something similer.

I also use a supermarket own brand malted milk drink to make sticky maggots or sticky pellets for firing out balls with the catty or on a method feeder.

Liquidized bread is a good attractor in winter or for crucian carp all year round in conjuntion with punched bread or bread flake.

Other additives includes liquidised corn, curry powder, tumeric, sea salt (not cooking salt), syrup, treacle, brown cane suger, condensed milk - the list is endless!!!!

But like I said - source yourself a good crumb base from an animal feed supplier.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thankyou very much to everyone, your advice is very appreciated, I'll give these ideas a go, i've got the main Oddie's factory just round the corner from my house may get the bread crumb from there, but must admit the oxo and meat idea sounds good for the chub on the river calder, I think i may take a trip to asda for the flavors

Thanks again

Rob

swinghook8.gif

"You hold the future in your hands, teach catch and release"

My Blog:- A Fishermans Dream