Canal Fishing

Akimbo Rob

Hi guys and gals,

I've been doing a lot of fishing on my local canal recently plus over to the lancaster canal for a session, now what stumped me was on my last session yesterday out on my local, i usually use a crystal waggler on the canal, I have over 50 different crystals in my box and i never fail to catch with them, now i was speaking to another angler who was using an onion balsa float and was spotting bites easier than what i could with my crystals, can anyone tell me whats the difference between the crystal and the onion besides the shape lol, and whats the best way to set one of these up??

I know its a silly question for an angler with 20 years experience but i've never used an onion float before, due to doing more predator fishing for the past 15 years and only recently started coarse back up a few months ago ;)

Cheers Rob

swinghook8.gif

"You hold the future in your hands, teach catch and release"

My Blog:- A Fishermans Dream

I don't think there's any magic associated with a particular type of float - I usually use a crystal insert waggler on the canal too, although lately I've been using vintage porcupine quills without seeing any obvious difference in bite detection or catch rate.

When you say the other angler was spotting bites more easily than you, do you mean he was getting more positive ones that were pulling the float right under? This could have been due to a number of factors, including shotting pattern, bait size, how much of the float tip was visible, etc.

The only advantage I've found to using the 'onion' float, is when I need to cast a distance, or if there is too much 'drag' on the water.

I agree with Davy, look to your presentation. How are you shotting the float, and where do you put the 'tell tale' shot?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The only advantage I've found to using the 'onion' float, is when I need to cast a distance, or if there is too much 'drag' on the water.

I agree with Davy, look to your presentation. How are you shotting the float, and where do you put the 'tell tale' shot?

John.

usually bulk of shot near float and 1 shot 15 inch from hook to help get through the smaller fish quicker, i do catch with this setup but do miss a lot of obvious bites

swinghook8.gif

usually bulk of shot near float and 1 shot 15 inch from hook to help get through the smaller fish quicker, i do catch with this setup but do miss a lot of obvious bites

I'd try putting a couple of No 8s down your line, one just over half depth, and the other nearer your hook as your tell tale shot.

The rule is 'if you are getting bites and missing them, move your tell tale closer to the hook.

If you are getting bites and not seeing them, then move it away. (this also helps to stop deep hooked fish).

Start off at about 12" and move the shot 1" or so at a time, until you start getting better results. I've gone down to 3" when needed.

Make sure you shot the float so that as little is showing as possible.

I hope this helps.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Are there any red signal crayfish in the canal you're fishing? There are loads of the blighters in my local (Macclesfield) canal, and apparently un-missable bites that fail to connect are (I suspect) often due to them.

Are there any red signal crayfish in the canal you're fishing? There are loads of the blighters in my local (Macclesfield) canal, and apparently un-missable bites that fail to connect are (I suspect) often due to them.

yeah there are loads of the little sods, been a real pain especially when fishing worms or shrimp, a few of my local spots have them and to be honest are starting to become a burden in many fisheries around lancashire

on the plus side i altered my shot patterns and have been getting a lot more positive bites with using my crystals so i'm happy with that ;)

Edited by Akimbo Rob

swinghook8.gif

I think that for fishing on the top and bottom of the far shelf, or even closer; then a Canal Grey or a straight waggler is usually a much better tool to use; but there are often times when a well shotted semi loaded 'Onion' float can often be a better choice.

For example; if you need to present your bait tight up against the far bank after Chub patrolling along the edge. Sometimes if you come more than a foot away from the far edge then your bites will fall off dramatically and an onion is ideal for this type of tight casting; where you want your float to fly ahead of your hooklength and hit the far bank with your line sinking down behind it.

A semi-loaded float like an onion will fly a lot straighter and truer through the air without the characteristic 'waggle' that gives the normal 'waggler' its name.

Another time that an onion will come into it's own is when you get a strong downstream wind causing your float to be pulled out of line as you check your line to reduce any bows in your line caused by the downstream surface drift close to the surface; the old 'Ducker Float' used to be used for this situation in times past.

Some anglers like the onion as it gives them a 'Boss' float that will enable them to fish almost anywhere in their swim no matter how far they need to cast while still retaining sensitivity from the thin and sensitive float stem.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)