TFG V8 Fixed Spool Reel for saltwater use?

fishfinder

can anyone tell me if the TFG V8 big pit reel is up to the task of beach fishing? I have one already and have been using it for carping and want to avoid buying another for saltwater use.

if this reel is no good then I was considering getting either a Shakespeare Salt XDS 080 or an Okuma Axeon big pit.

Decisions, decisions!!

Edited by fishfinder

Any decent reel should be suitable for saltwater use...just make sure you rinse all of the salt and sand out of it after every trip. Some dedicated sea f/s reels have stainless steel components but still not an excuse for cleaning them after every trip.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

What i mean is - is the reel suitable for use in saltwater, i.e. will it corrode and fall to bits? The size of fish isn't an issue as this is a big carp reel.

If the salt is an issue for this reel then I will look at a purpose designed beach reel

What i mean is - is the reel suitable for use in saltwater, i.e. will it corrode and fall to bits? The size of fish isn't an issue as this is a big carp reel.

If the salt is an issue for this reel then I will look at a purpose designed beach reel

Any reel will corrode and fall to bits if it isn't maintained, cleaned and lubricated if used in the sea....Here are two of mine, the larger one on the right is about 40 years old and is a surfcasting reel aMitchell 302. No stainless in sight and only one ballrace (bearing)...this has had over 40 years headstart on falling to bits over your brand new TFG V8!

Mitchell-Copy_zpsaa0d38bc.jpg

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!