Chair advice

grayson

Helpful advice needed; I am recovering from a disc operation and am looking for a new chair.I have a so called lightweight Korum chair which I find excellent for stillwater fishing but for my river fishing I need something lighter and far more portable. I currently have a tired old Fox chair which has given great service but is tired and suffers what I term soggy arse syndrome- the seat itself, rather than backrest is droopy and awful for my back. Price immaterial within reason.

What I need is - light weight but robust(am 15 stone). Easily portable- my chub trips cover several miles on many days.Highish seat- good for back. And firm covering- ditto. Must have adjustable legs and mud feet; and must not have arm rests nor thick padding (unless light and 100% waterproof).

Chub (the brand ) looks good- but what do you recommend?

Have you looked at the new Korum travel pack? Ultra-lightweight accessory chair that's designed to attach to a supplied backpack, plus a minimalist quiver - all for less than a ton!

Korum roving pack @ £90

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I am a great fan of Korum luggage and have a number of items including the new Roving Kit for which I paid £85. I am a bit disappointed with the kit because it is not that light especially if you load up the largish bag with too much gear, as is the case with the otherwise brilliant Ruckbag.

The chair is lighter than the original lightweght Korum chair but it is really only a canvas seat with a short non adjustable back rest. The canvas is probably not waterproof although I haven't used it in the rain yet. It has the standard Korum adjustable legs with mud feet but the bag sits between the legs which stick out horizontally. I turned round quickly on one occasion and the mudfeet nearly clobbered my nearest and dearest!

The rod quiver is very clever with a solid tip protection sleeve, a reel pouch and sockets for rod butts. All of these are attached to a long adjustable strap that allows for different rod lengths. A shoulder strap is attached to this strap and with the reel pouch it can move up the strap to suit rod sizes. However, this movement can mean that if you hold the quiver by the carry handle which is part of the reel pouch it can drag the reels upwards if not carefully adjusted. Worse, I loaded two made up rods, an umbrella and a landing net handle all of which was comfortable using the shoulder strap but on holding the carry handle the whole quiver took a nose dive to the floor. Not well balanced when carried horizontally!

Very ingenious piece of kit which I am using but I would recommend taking a serious look before buying to ensure that it meets your needs.

Just my personal experience but I hope it is useful.

Alan

Have you looked at the new Korum travel pack? Ultra-lightweight accessory chair that's designed to attach to a supplied backpack, plus a minimalist quiver - all for less than a ton!

Korum roving pack @ £90

grayson,

With your extenuating circumstances I believe I'd also investigate outside our industry. Golf guys have some wonderful spectator chairs but they appear to be heavy. A firm bottom (sitting surface) is hard to come by in a chair lightweight enough you can pack along. Maybe a simple rigid folding chair (like a card table chair)?

I know carrying my chair is as much a consideration as comfort at destination. Tough question, my advice is look "outside the box" of fishing.

Phone

I am a great fan of Korum luggage and have a number of items including the new Roving Kit for which I paid £85. I am a bit disappointed with the kit because it is not that light especially if you load up the largish bag with too much gear, as is the case with the otherwise brilliant Ruckbag.

The chair is lighter than the original lightweght Korum chair but it is really only a canvas seat with a short non adjustable back rest. The canvas is probably not waterproof although I haven't used it in the rain yet. It has the standard Korum adjustable legs with mud feet but the bag sits between the legs which stick out horizontally. I turned round quickly on one occasion and the mudfeet nearly clobbered my nearest and dearest!

The rod quiver is very clever with a solid tip protection sleeve, a reel pouch and sockets for rod butts. All of these are attached to a long adjustable strap that allows for different rod lengths. A shoulder strap is attached to this strap and with the reel pouch it can move up the strap to suit rod sizes. However, this movement can mean that if you hold the quiver by the carry handle which is part of the reel pouch it can drag the reels upwards if not carefully adjusted. Worse, I loaded two made up rods, an umbrella and a landing net handle all of which was comfortable using the shoulder strap but on holding the carry handle the whole quiver took a nose dive to the floor. Not well balanced when carried horizontally!

Very ingenious piece of kit which I am using but I would recommend taking a serious look before buying to ensure that it meets your needs.

Just my personal experience but I hope it is useful.

Alan

I use a lot of Korum luggage - Accessory chair, 2 rod quiver, Total Protection rod holdall, Tackle and Bait bag, and so on; all of which I'm happy with - and it does seem like the roving kit is a clever evolution of all of those bits of luggage in a more portable form.

In fact -and on the strength of the other kit - I was about to splash out on this product, sight unseen. Maybe a re-think's needed: thanks Alan.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."