abu 505

tom lad

the brass ( i think ) tube in side the the winder on the 505 has a slight flange at the spring end . prob only .5 mm is this stopping the spring clamping up fully to increase tension , or suppose to be there ? it will only fit one way around due to the flange .

Sorry, say again? Can you take a photo, as I've no idea what you are describing.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

i've stripped and cleaned the abu , there was alot of grease on the clutch discs .

washed in petrol , what should i lube it with ? just dabs of machine oil / light oil ? leave clutch dry . grease only the teath of the gears ?

lovely shiney bits inside , well made aren't they .

i use Lm grease just a smidgeon on the gear teeth & on the moving parts of the handle /drag mechanism .just enough to lubricate & protect .i use Lm grease because of it operating temprature range ,as it stays viscus over a wide temp range .

there is a tendancy for the old grease to conjeal and harden over time ,people often just whacked in a load of grease without thought ,most of which just clogged things up .in reality you only need a small amount to lubricate the reel properly.

abu c/f's are very user friendly reels ,very easy to maintain & service at home ,parts are still fairly available .

its been a while since i last stripped a 505 ,but that part is both a transfer and bushing i think .so not alot you can do apart from jamming the gears and tightning the drag componants up .this is why i prefer a 506

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

thanx for help m8

if ive understood the workings correctly i tink ive meanded my prob.

on the main gear there is a spring lever , ratchet mechanizm.

14122012348_zps37c5770c.jpg

on my reel the end of the lever was a bit worn so if set it a bit higher / more open , now it engages the other half of the spindle.

with the winder held tight if i turn my winder cup anti clockwise there are several clicks ( just like on my 506) then turn clockwise to unscrew and it locks and then unscrews

as i say if ive undersood it all correctly :unsure:

think i was barking up wrong tree re. the bush cuz u cant tighten the star wheel anymore with the bushing removed .

thanx again for help

try to get the cp abit smoother now, i washed it in degeaser to clean of the grease - that desolved the nasty black paint :o so it looks a bit different now.

tom

when will my post be posted straight away ????