Hook Point Variants.

tinca steve

Steve,

There are numerous types of hook points. Are these the ones you want to discuss? None of the other elements of a fishing hook?

• Spear Point
  • - the standard style. The point is in a straight line from the tip to the barb.
  • Hollow Point
  • - A rounded point that forms a curve from the tip to the base of the barb. Intended for soft mouth fish..
  • Rolled-In Point
  • - The point is rolled in, that is, aligned in a curve pointing toward the eye of the shank. This puts it in line with the fishing line.The design is intended to reduce the pressure needed to set the hook.
  • Needle Point
  • - Exactly what it's name implies, a needle point with evenly rounded sides. "Sticky sharp" out of the package but vulnerable to suffering rolled tips if they contact hard surfaces.
  • Knife Edge
  • - used primarily for big game fish. The inner surface of the barb is flattened while both sides are ground

I'm a carp fisherman and like rolled-in-point hooks. But we use FAR larger hooks than size 6 for carp. I might have a few 8's a few 6's but mostly 2's - 1's - 1/0 and 2/0's.

Phone

I can add a few myself,

Hook point Variants

Hooks come in around nine point variants and all are designed to achieve different objectives.

A knife edge point is designed to cut into flesh and bone, and is useful for most 'hard' mouthed fish. But they do have the disadvantage of cutting in and out.

A needle point hook is pretty much what it looks like, a needle. Needle points have good penetration, but not as good as knife edge hooks. However, needle points do not cut once in the fishes mouth and are less likely to cut their way out.

Barbless hooks are just that, and can be in any point variant.
'Micro' barbs are very small barbs that are mainly seen on small hooks for trout and coarse fishing.

A 'short' barb hook is a barb nearer the hook point than on a standard hook.

A 'beak' hook is where the point of the hook curves up towards the shank, in front of the barb.

Kirbed or Reversed hook points are points that curve away at an angle to the shank. They are said to provide a better hook-up rate as the point does not get deflected by the shank. Most people call all hooks like this 'kirbed 'hooks, but strictly speaking a kirbed hook point bends out to the right looking straight-on to the shaft, and the reversed hook point bends out to the left.

What I was trying to do was find out if there were any preferences or if anglers used hooks of variations when it comes to hook points as and when used for different contingencies.

I purposely left the question VERY wide open so as hopefully gain as much insight as possible.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Steve,

Without opening the barb vs barbless discussion I like rolled in first and regular spear second. I can't say I can ever remember using a "beak". Wonder what species they would be for? We only see them VERY rarely in the shops. That is, if I am even have the proper picture in my minds eye. What I picture is a hook that bends AWAY from the 'j' at some point. Is that right?

Have a look at this site from my favorites. (I should have given credit in the first place) http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/fish-hooks.html

I know you don't "bass" fish (freshwater largemouth) but I believe his information on hooks is still quite germaine.

Phone

Phone,

Looking at the picture I would say that the reference to HOLLOW would mean the same as BEAK. This bend would finally turn the hook into a circle hook if carried to its extreme.

Most hooks used today lay flat but kirbed/reversed hooks like the Korum QM1 which are great ledgering hooks have that slight offset to the shank so that the point is NOT in alignment with the shank and cannot lie flat.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

I make it as simple as I can, straight points for a soft bottom, curved/beaked for rocks/gravel/pebbles as they dont tend to roll the points.

I like straight points for the ease of penetration, but the beaks do deffinatley stay in (esp when using a barbless hook as I do 99% of the time)

All,

Never to old to learn. I didn't know this.

""""A kirbed hook point is offset to the left, a straight point has no offset and a reversed point is offset to the right.""""

Now all I have to do is figure out whos left and whos right. Would the proper orientation to discuss a fish hook be "eye up"?????

Phone