Minnows and how to catch them.

Andy Macfarlane

I use the big coffee jars. They have the advantage of weight, clarity and the obvious screw on lid. I tie heavy mono or string round the neck of the jar, half-fill it with water and throw the trap out. It may stand upright at first but once the bubbles stop appearing, a sharp tug will make it fall on its side. If you have waders, walk out and place the traps any way you wish. I normally use bread as 'bait' but maggots and worms will do equally well, if not better.

I noticed that a trap can lie empty for hours at a time and the minnows may not appreciate this vessel in thier chosen area. Minnows love a frenzy though and they hate missing out on food. By leaving a few angered minnows inside, they almost queue up to get in.

Minnows can be kept in a brewing barrel or something but make sure you put some mesh and a brick on top. They like making a bid for freedom and Magpies are very fond of them. They don't require any special care. You can refresh the water every day, straight from the hose/tap.

Almost anything will take a live minnow. Big Pike will happily scoff a minnow as will Perch, Trout, Sea-Trout, Rainbows etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy

This might be an 'auld wives tale', I have never tried it but minnows are supposed to be drawn to something red. Try putting a wee bit of red rag in the jar as 'bait'.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It may be sticklebacks I was thinking about too, but hey try it, it cannot do any harm and it may even work.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I,ll try red maggots in one trap and white maggots in another, side by side and see which trap attracts the most attention. A little experimentation adds too the whole minnow collecting adventure... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...