Winter Canals

chrislee342

Hi all.

Lately I have been fishing the canal due to transport issues as the canal is more or less on my doorstep which is handy.

I have been finding the fishing tough as the temperature has dropped so has anyone got any tips for my winter on the cut??

Cheers :)

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

My local stretch of (disused) canal can be a funny place. It fished it's head off a couple of months ago when we had all the rain and it flooded, but then when it dropped to what appeared to be perfect conditions we blanked. One thing I have learnt on my local canal is that it always fishes much better with colour in the water, and can be really really hard when it is clear. My favourite method of fishing the canal is an insert crystal waggler with all the shot around the base of the float and half a lob on a size 10 hook cast tight to far reeds or any other cover. I prefer this as it can be great fun catching the perch up to about a pound on light tackle, as well as big eels and other surprises. I'm not keen on fishing maggot as you can be pestered by tiddlers but on its day can produce good mixed bags. My advice would be:

- Scale your tackle down, 1lb bottoms and 22 hooks if your on maggot

- Pinkie and bread (not together, although never tried it) can be great baits and i've watched regulars bag up on these baits

- Try different spots and plumb about to see if you can find a deeper hole or ledge

- Try for the perch, they feed well in winter and can be great fun, and might throw up some bigguns

Edited by davedave
  • Like 1

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I'd agree with Dave - perch can be an excellent winter target on canals. I'd suggest you look for anywhere with low light levels such as in the shadow of a bridge, a boat or a tree.

Dusk is often the prime time for the perch, as it is for big roach. In fact, unlike perch, roach will often feed after dark - even in cold clear conditions. I haven't done much such fishing, but by staying on I used to catch some big roach then on a whole lobworm, or better still a big piece of breadflake on a size 10 hook. These were roach that rarely if ever came to anyone fishing during daylight.

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Finding them and looking for any activity can help if your canal is anything like my canal. there can be large stretches that just wont hold fish this time of year but walk a little further and find features such as a bend or over hanging tree and it could hold fish in good numbers.

there also seems to be a certain time when the activity is more noticeable, on my local that is between 4pm and 6pm. try going for a walk just as it starts to get dark and hopefully you will see some surface activity.

pontoons along the canal wall can have some really good perch hiding under them so its a good idea to check just under your feet :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Just seen this post. You can't beat the bread punch on winter canals. My profile picture is of a recent winter catch. If you click on this link to my website

link http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/category/fishing/ this bag of skimmers and roach was caught alongside a raft of ice. I only took liquidized bread with me. I bought a medium white loaf at Tesco, took out the crusts and cut off the rest (my wife made bread pudding with the scraps). I kept three slices for the bait and liquidized the rest. The bait slices are cut into four, so twelve pieces. Microwave six for ten seconds at full, then run them over with a rolling pin once. Keepfresh in cling film. This will give you two options of bait for the punch. Punches are readily available. Start off with a 4mm punch and go up to a 5mm if there are bigger fish. A pole is ideal as you will only need to fish the inside shelf ,or middle, but a float rod with pole float, light waggler dotted right down fished just off the bottom will do the trick. With punch you should get a bite straight away, if not a small ball (golf or smaller) will get them started.

Good Luck, Ken

I've seen little mention of the weather on here. I always believed that it wasn't the weather, but an established pattern of weather. Especially barometric pressure. Unsettled conditions were often a key to the feeding patterns. A steady pattern of pressure and weather often produced results.

Am I wrong? Are these theories just rubbish from an old mans' memories?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)