Leon Roskilly

The Editor

The Daily Telegraph

1 Canada Square

Canary Wharf

London E14 5DT

April 14

SIR –

With the unjustified allegation from the Countryside Alliance yesterday (Countryside Alliance press release) that Labour has dropped its commitment not to place restrictions on the sports of angling and shooting , they once again expose the cynicism with which they try to exploit the sports of shooting and angling in furtherance of their own narrow objective.

Labour ministers, including Richard Caborn, the Minister for Sport, myself and Ben Bradshaw at DEFRA, and Caroline Flint at the Home Office have all been involved in serious discussions with the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, BASC, and other leading representatives of shooting and fishing, to ensure that both sports are supported strongly and practically by the government.

Those discussions have also ensured that animal welfare considerations have been fully taken into account by all concerned.

Support for both sports was made clear in our 2001 manifesto.

That commitment not only stands but will be built upon in Labour's rural manifesto, using the basis of work done over the last four years.

BASC has already responded to the Countryside Alliance showing that they have got it wrong.

The Countryside Alliance has jumped the gun and shot itself in the foot.

Yours Sincerely

Alun Michael

Minister of State

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon, did you "cut and paste" that, or retype it ?

There seems to be a duplicate reference to BASC and British Association for Shooting and Conservation.

Also the "jumped the gun and shot itself in the foot", is a bit cringeworthy, for a Minister of State to write.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cutted and pasted :)

I guess they should have put the ,BASC, as (BASC)

(or perhaps it should have read ,FACT, )

TL - leon

[ 14. April 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Dear Leon,

"Peter, Lee, On yer Marks, Go........ "

Recognition at last that Peter and me are more popular on the internet for our "political" thoughts than the angling politicians are for theirs?

I mean, we "are" more entertaining, attract bigger crowds, catch unbelievable amounts of fish, and are certainly better looking than most angling politicians I've ever watched scowling across a table at each other?

As for the utter blurb in the Telegraph? In case you haven't noticed Leon, its election time. I see fat jags has been blurbing down his microphone against what he saw as CA eggs being thrown at his "bungling bus". That man don't like eggs do ee'

And it "IS" fair to say that the labour cabinet "IS" fairly anti Countryside Alliance? And seeing as they "think" the CA are behind anti-lab moves to oust their marginal MP's surely all this is a pathetic attempt to discredit the CA? Not exactly a clever move or one that the electorate immediately sees straight through? Labour are treating people like children, and you lot are handing out the sweeties Leon!

That’s the biggest problem with the labour mob Leon, you think everyone is daft and can't see what’s going off!!

Crikey I'd love the Tories to win if only to see your mobs faces when they throw your self drafted "Labour Charter for Angling" straight in the nearest dustbin!! Mind you, that’s exactly where it belongs.

So come on Peter do hurry up. The audience is arriving and I'm going to pop along the queue to flog a few books.

"GET YER STEVE STAYNERS HERE LADIES AND GENTS"

Regards,

Lee.

So come on Peter do hurry up. The audience is arriving and I'm going to pop along the queue to flog a few books.

He'll be along as soon as he's fed the horses :)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Lee,

Merely posting stuff that is sent to me and is relevant to angling.

Please don't assume that I support any particular party.

(The fact that I was once an election agent for a Liberal party parliamentary candidate, and stood in several local/GLC elections for the same party, also shouldn't be taken as evidence of my current political leanings)

(Oh! and neither that I was once Federal Secretary of the Young Australian Party, then an active member of the Democratic Labour Party, or attended meetings of the Country Party in Queensland for the class sheilas that went to the party dinners).

:)

TL - leon

[ 14. April 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Dear Leon,

Want some of my bait Leon?

It catches limp wristed Aussie organisers for fat ladies nights out. Apparently.

Lights dim.

Introducing; The cheerful, the tenacious, the overly carp orientated, friend of pike anglers the whole world over, knows now't about barbel fishing,

Drum roll,.............

PEEETTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR WAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEER.