P.c help please! grrrrrr

dave_h

Anyone help,

It seems evertime i switch on my pc i get this message:

Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry windows will restart and repair the system registry for you.

I then press OK

After it re-boots again it comes up with this message:

Microsoft registry checker.

You have restored a registry.

Windows found error in system files and restored back up file.

I then press restart.

It then re-boots again............

It is then fine but i have to go through the whole thing everytime i switch it on and it takes about 10 minutes everytime!!!!!!!! :mad:

Help please it does my head in!!

What operating system and when did the problem start?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

operating system is windows 98 and it just started about a month ago, it was fine and then it just came up one day??????

any advice newt

cheers mate

You could try Start/programmes/accessories/system tools/system information then click on the drop down from tools and hit registry checker and system file checker, have your 98 cd handy as it may want to restore some files from it. Otherwise over to Newt!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Boot from a floppy. Then do the following with a press of the ENTER key after each line

c:

scanreg /fix

scanreg /opt

scandisk /autofix /nosave /surface

dir (this is to check for total number of files in c: which MUST be below 512 and for safety should be under 300)

note: if you have too many files in c: then you will need to get rid of some at this point. If not, skip this step.

dir file*.* (you are looking for files named with the pattern filennnn.chk where nnnn is any number)

note: if you find lots of filennnn.chk things, you can safely delete enough to bring you below 500 files in c: and then after windows starts, use Windows Explorer to get rid of the rest of them.

Then remove the floppy, reboot and see how you are doing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I tried it newt but did not get far infact not far at all!!!

Tried booting from a floppy but it would not do it, it came up with "irregular disc hit any key to continue"

I then took the floppy out and hit the enter key,and hey it was ok no error messages and booted up first time :confused: :confused:

Now i have switched it off three times and re-booted the normal way and no problem :D

I dont no what it did infact i cant see what could have been done????????????????

I am just waiting for Jeremy Beadle to pop out!!

NO! come to think if that happened i would get a new system

thanks for your help.

quote:

I tried it newt but did not get far infact not far at all!!!

Tried booting from a floppy but it would not do it, it came up with "irregular disc hit any key to continue"

Hi dave_h,

When Newt means a floppy disk I think he means a 'Win 98 bootdisk' disk and not no ordinary floppy disk.

If you don't have one you can always create your own.

To create a Windows 98 Startup disk that supports the FAT32 file system:

Place the Windows 98 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive, and have a floppy disk available

Select Start > Programs, then click Windows Explorer

Open the following folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM:

ToolsMtsutilFat32ebd

Double-click the file Fat32ebd.exe, and then follow the instructions to create the Startup disk

Thanks for that, i am not very good at this computer stuff, hence only just purchasing one.

I am learning all the time but i will get there in the end!

My next venture is i have just purchased a digital camera for the first time, did not take too long to work it out but when i go to put it on the pc i might be contacting you guys again.

Again thanks for your help. :)

PH - nice catch.

dave_h - sorry for not giving clearer advice. Often times if you are having serious problems with the PC, you can use a floppy disk that has all the stuff needed to start the PC and run DOS where you can do repairs that aren't allowed if windows is running.

Good idea to make up such a floppy disk using the directions PH gave and then keep it around. Usually when you need one badly, you can't start windows and so can't make one.