angling in Germany

tanglenet2004

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a licence.

Your UK licence will probably be accepted but as there are different rules for each part of Germany, you should check (the Germans have to take a pretty tough test before being allowed a fishing licence).

You should only fish to take fish for the pot, otherwise you could be prosecuted under German Animal Welfare laws for distressing fish merely for fun.

See http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...ic;f=1;t=013201

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Day tickets (angle shine or taggescarte) used to be available in tackle shops.Showing your passport normally gets around the "Fishing test licence" problem but some places ask to see something,a UK club membership or season ticket usually suffices.

When I was living there the season system was organised around specific species at certain times of year.Effectively it meant you could still catch them but were not meant to intentionally or could not retain or kill them.How the kill all policy has affected this I dont know.

Been a few years since I last fished in Germany.Hopefully Hoppy will see this post (or if not you could either PM or Email him) as he currently lives there and could let you know.

What area are you going to and what sort of fishing are you inteding to do?

[ 14. January 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When you see what has happened in Germany thanks to the politically-correct, right-on, folk calling the shots, perhaps you can understand why I'm so pessimistic about angling eventually getting banned here (or so bogged down in idealogical nonsense that it's not worth the bother)?

We will lose fishing as we know it through stealth... the gradual erosion of our way of doing things.

The "good" news is that we won't be alone. This Government will interfere in every aspect of our lives until it becomes illegal for anyone to do other than what is decreed acceptable by a certain in-crowd that resides within a fairly tight radius of Islington, North London.

Whoops! To think I'd pledged not to get controversial again. That's another NY Resolution busted! Sorry...

Fenboy

Some information that I've been sent today from Germany:

in Germany you get your license for angling after you have passed an examination. If you posses an angling license you can buy a permission for the water where you want to fish. This is the usual procedure. What I described for the coastal federal countries in Germany are more or less exceptions. In Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

you pay for a permit, in Schleswig-Holstein you pay (as a foreigner) for a license (which is valid for 30 days, no examination, no permit necessary). As a matter of fact both is nearly the same only the designation is different.

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

From what I remember of my time in Germany there was a very strong Jager or hunter tradition especialy in the south around the Black Forest. So whilst it was perfectly acceptable to hunt boar with dogs and guns angling was always regarded as a somewhat lowly sport. A bit like we regard the so called Spanish sportsmen who torment a bull to death or the southern Europeans who trap and shoot song birds. That at least was my impression from forty years ago.

A Hammond

tanglenet2004, What Budgie has said is CORRECT! You should find a tackle shop in the area that you are going to fish in and show your license + passport. You will then request a tagges card for the water you are going to fish in. This is, if you are fishing a river or stream that is not private! On a private water, you will then need to request that you have specific tagges card for this water. Just know that the normal limits do not apply to you!!!!!!!!! Although it is not a common practice, C&R is done!!! I for one am very much into this and they accept it from me. I will take Zander for personal use if they meet the size requirements. The question that was posed to you as to location is also mine. Where will you be trying to fish? The May timeframe is going to be hectic for me as I am planning to travel in the middle of the month. Let me know as soon as possible and I will try to get you some specific info for the area that you are going to be visiting.

HOPPY4

HOPPY