What do you do with keepnets / landingnet & unhooking mat after fishing?

kkelly

Hi all. I've just taken up fishing again and have some new landing nets.

What is the best way of keeping my landing nets in shape and if possible stink free :D in the past I just washed them down at home with water. Is it ok to use any form of soap e.g. wont damage the nets or harm the fish?

Thanks for any tips and information.

Lots of club lakes have dip tanks now a days to prevent diseases spreading from other waters, so when you get in a soapy wash down wouldnt do any harm. Just ensure you get rid of all the suds before using it again.

Lots of club lakes have dip tanks now a days to prevent diseases spreading from other waters, so when you get in a soapy wash down wouldnt do any harm. Just ensure you get rid of all the suds before using it again.

Leave them out in the air to dry completely. All nasties will disappear when the nets are totally crisp. :thumbs:

I opened a post on this topic a few weeks back and there is lots of good advice in the replies:

Read them all here

I have also found you can multitask the whole thing and perhaps perform 3 jobs in one.

If you lay your unhooking mat on the grass at dusk, then lay your landing net on top you can wash both at the same time with your hosepipe and a little washing up liquid. Use a dustpan brush to scrub the fishy bits from both and then give it a very good rinse with the hose.

Hang the unhooking mat and landing net on the line, it doesnt matter if it rains as this will help to rinse the net even more.

If you notice that when you pick the net and mat up from the grass you may find several worms underneath who werent happy with you drenching them in soapy water. Gather them up into a tub, rinse them off as well and put them on your hook!