barbel. why?

scott bradley

Depends on where you fish though. I don't know many ressies round here that lack oxygen at any time of the year unless theres really sustained sunshine....a likley story.

No, I think this is another Scotland vs. England thing, much like the old pike. What's good for you isn't always good for us. If we were to only fish for species like perch and pike in Winter, we'd probably never go or catch that many. Same goes with the other course species.

We seem to be a month behind when it comes to Spring weather and even then, we're generally always a good 2-3 degrees cooler. For that reason, I'll stick to fishing when it's productive. It's meant to fun, not a punishment exercise.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Depends on where you fish though. I don't know many ressies round here that lack oxygen at any time of the year unless theres really sustained sunshine....a likley story.

No, I think this is another Scotland vs. England thing, much like the old pike. What's good for you isn't always good for us. If we were to only fish for species like perch and pike in Winter, we'd probably never go or catch that many. Same goes with the other course species.

We seem to be a month behind when it comes to Spring weather and even then, we're generally always a good 2-3 degrees cooler. For that reason, I'll stick to fishing when it's productive. It's meant to fun, not a punishment exercise.

Ressies, perch and pike, Scotland vs England??? Youve lost me Andy, Isn't this about winter barbelling?

No never mind bring it on anyway, I'll work out later what you were on about. :boxing::)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Ah, you weren't talking to me. I thought you were talking about the Perch in the post I made previous to yours. No need for boxing gloves in that case.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Simple. Spawn laden fish are heavier and ego's need to be massaged......

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Simple. Spawn laden fish are heavier and ego's need to be massaged......

Can't say Ive found that applies to barbel that much Ken with us still having a closed season on rivers.Spawning time can vary a bit year to year but generally its around mid may. Which can make them thin and weak when the season reopens.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest 1lastcast

The well respected angler Keith Speers got awarded the Angling Times Catch of the year award a couple of seasons ago with a 17lb 15oz Barbel caught on one of our clubs smaller rivers; he also had a 13lb’er the week before and an11lb’er the week after all during one of the coldest Decembers for over a century with snow on the ground and all these Barbel where witnessed by several other anglers and club officials.

See photo of Keith holding his 17lb 15oz Barbel in the snow below:

< http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/gigantic-barbel-on-the-float/ >

Us other mortals do catch smaller Barbel; mainly when trotting; right through the winter months although it’s obviously not as active as it is during

the warmer months, but if you are prepared to fine down your tackle and use more subtle and balanced gear you have a good chance of finding them once the temperature has stayed settled for a few days or is steadily rising even when the air temperatures are still very cold.

I think the Upper Lee Valley and in particular that stretch that Keith and your good self fish by no means typical of probably any other River. It is well managed and not really that difficult to catch in any conditions. However to catch that size of barbel on light gear is a good angling, and Keith is a great Angler.

There is a large density of Barbel in that stretch, so the competition between fish is always great, really a man made match venue as opposed to a wild river such as the Teme, which has suffered from a lack of Barbel since the floods of ' 07 and throw in Otter then we have a real challenge to catch in the Winter, especially, But that is just how I like it, after all it is fishing not catching, and any catch is worth a lot more in difficult circumstances.

Also the Winter can be a fantastic time to be out, no all not many boats, kyaks, no fair weather anglers, and what better than a hot cup of coffee bank side?

But if you really want to catch in Winter look for rising temperatures and low pressures, let nothing get in your way, especially work :)