Roach Fest

Paul_D

I've just got back from a great weeks fishing in Ireland, in particularly on the River Scariff. If any of you fancy a netfull of Roach to almost 2lbs book yourselves in for one of the first couple of weeks in May. It's a bit of a gamble though as, apparantly, the river has not been fishable during the migration that occurs at this time for the last few years due to flood water. Here's hoping we hit it at the right time next year. Fantastic.

Paul

Paul,well done.have fished the scariff a few times,nice river.Not actually hit it spot on though,ie mostly bream and hybrids,the roach having moved back into Derg.Will be over there next year at around the end of may/early june so perhaps may get it right next time.Where were you fishing,the harbour area???.

chuby.

Chuby, Yes it was Harbour Meadow we were fishing, beautiful place. Rented one of the Cottages by the bridge. Excellent value. The lakes, on the whole, were not fishing very well though. We didn't actually fish Derg itself but were getting pestered big time by Pike hitting our Roach and Hybrids on the likes of Bridget etc. Roll on next year.

Paul

Paul,were there many fishing the river??.I know the reports of late said that the fish had started to move into the river,as you said unfortunatley its a bit hit and miss as to when they actually get in there in numbers.Have fished it mid june,as i said,but the roach had all but gone by then :mad: .Was there(mountshannon),last october,but was told to forget the river full stop, at that time of the year.Did quite well on Derg though and Kilgory produced quite well.It must have been really great to hit it just right.

Regards,chuby.

There were never more than about seven of us along the stretch chuby. You actually needed a key to get onto the meadow as the new harbour construction is still ongoing and the site is padlocked. Our landlady gave us and our next door neighbours a key.

I'd bought myself a keepnet before going (the first one I've owned in probably seven years) after experiencing the Bream fishing on Derg last year following pre-baiting. I didn't weigh the Roach in the net this year but there must have been a ton of them on one day with some real, pristine beauties amongst them.

Paul