winter ailments

John Ellison

I don't know about you folks, but it seems at least half the population, myself included, spend the run up to Christmas coughing and spluttering with a splitting headache. Same happened last year. Went out new years eve, the headache never wore off for a fortnight, some kind of flu again!

I'm pouring 'Covonia' down my throat like there's no tommorrow, inhaling menthol crystals and my fishing tackle stands idle. I even had to ring in sick for fishing last sunday, that's how bad I feel :( . And how come the dog never gets flu, or his chest bunged up with phlegm. He's eyeballing me now so I'll have to take him out. Bye for now, cough, splutter, choke.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

did you have a flu jab.

if you can get out of bed and go to work you have not got flu.

high strength vitamin c is good but you have to take it each day also echinachia is good as well.

vic rubbed back and front is an old but effective remedy,especially good if you can get someone else to do the rubbing.

you could always try the old remedy of a sweaty sock around your neck.

nursejudy good luck

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

I enquired a number of years ago to my GP about a flu jab and was not encouraged by what he had to say. Something about the jabs for 'this' flu were not effective for 'that' flu. I am sure that my winter diet is not nearly as good as it ought to be. Love salads etc. in summer but in winter I'm sure I don't get enough of the right kind of nutrients through the rubbish I sometimes/often eat. I try to get onions into my diet on a regular basis and all roast chickens are plastered in garlic.

How does it go?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away

An onion a day keeps everybody away.

I've always been succeptable to throat infections

all my life. Taurus the bull, I am. Throats are our problem area, or so it goes. I'v just chomped through 4 x 500mg of Vitamen C while punching this in. New years res.....Pay more attention to diet. Thanks NurseJudy.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

quote:

vic rubbed back and front is an old but effective remedy,especially good if you can get someone else to do the rubbing.

lucky vic :D

blame everybody else for most coughs and colds ,they give them to you :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have had a Flu jab for the last two years

and, would not go with out one again,

not had a serious cold or Flu since the

first one ( injection that is) the last

injection was a Three-in one, three types

of Flu.

When I was a kid My Mother was always

putting Kiolin pultices on or Chest & Back

if we had a cough or flu, God that made

you sit up that did

david :D

up to the age of 11 I suffered bronchitis , so bad it was nessesary to be admitted to hospital several times . From 11 years of age < when I started smoking > to my present age of 53 I have never had a recurence , flu , and I can honestly say I dont think Ive even had cold more than a half a dozen times.This is not an endorsment for smoking btw, only to show what a crazy world it is.

nursejudy:

There is somebody locally, selling goose grease. Never tried it, but the old folk swore by it.

Malt extract with Cod-liver-oil, a dessert spoonful every day and you don't get colds. Trouble is, you get to the bottom of the jar and forget to put it on the shopping list.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.co.uk/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I'm not (or rather wasn't) a great believer in potions bought from these health food type shops. However, after a recent bought of flu threatened to once again deteriorate into the Pleurisy I had a couple of years ago a friends wife recommended I try Echinaforce Drops. They taste like mud but they really did work very quickly for me. I was gobsmacked. Apparently it is an old North American Indian medicine so I suppose they knew a thing or two in those days.

Paul

the echinacea is really good so is tea tree

thats an antiseptic [ the aborigines]use it but its now being used over here,possibly against the dreaded mrsa infection,

perhaps we could develope the thread to old wives remedies with all our international posted it could be good,goose grease is supposed to be very good,

nurse judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)