Runners vs. Walkers

Jeff S

Commonsense should dictate but I haven't yet figured it out.. Just wondering what the etiquette should be for a runner on the river bank approaching walkers with dogs? What do you expect from a runner?

I usually start to walk once I get within 100ft or so and they are walking towards me. About the same if I am approaching from behind. Sometimes the walker will stop and take hold of their dog while sometimes not.

The majority of the walkers I have encountered with dogs do not use a leash, so I do not want to end up in hospital from being bitten. I'm not the type that would seek compensation either.

Just last week in the city center while running I had a large german shepherd run up behind me -no owner in sight- I only heard its toe nails clicking on the pavement and it was about 0600. Only thing I could do was turn around and walk slowly while facing it. Scary too but would like to keep incidents to a minimum

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

i expect runners to take the same care as if they were walking or driving, IE if necessary, slow down or stop, i hate it when runners storm through as though breaking their stride would ruin their day.

yoxer:

If you work and save hard you may be able to get a bike.

You used to be able to use a small revolver called a 'velo dog'. It was a weapon for shooting dogs that attacked riders on the, then newly invented, bicycle or 'velocipede'.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Not quite on topic but I have two dogs and we (the wife or me) always put them on leads when approached by runners or horse riders.

One of my dogs hates horses and always barks at them but today while out in the woods we were approached by several horse riders....they stopped and my wife grabbed the youngest dog and I went for the old feller....he kept walking towards the stationary horses, I kept slipping on the muddy path and then the old dog stopped and sniffed the horses leg....I do not think he had realised that it was a real horse, but it smelt interesting.....I grabbed him just as he was starting to raise his leg :D

When I picked him up he saw the horses and went into a barking frenzy.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Ferret1959
poledark:

When I picked him up he saw the horses and went into a barking frenzy.

Den

Maybe the barking was a reaction of the dogs protective senses, realising his 'dominant' pack leader could be under threat.

As he hadn't barked until you made your move there wasn't a threat.

All dog owners have a legal obligation to keep their dogs under control, on or off the lead & wether aggressive or not. I get really annoyed when I walk my dog on her lead & get hassled by dogs off theirs, the owners usually shout- oh it's ok he/she is friendly but thats not the point.

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversations as a dog does.

Guest Ferret1959

I saw a moman one day walking her dog and it ran on to the road.

Funny thing was she had the lead in her hand.

She chased across the road and caught the dog and hit it with the lead giving it sutch a bollicking for running off.

Well I went ape **** at the woman only to be told it was her dog and she would do what she liked.

If it was in the possition I would have just taken the dog away from her and left my number if she wanted it back.

The only way I would have let her have it back was if she gave me her name and address.

I'd have just reported her for cruelty then.

Oh if anyone has a Jack Russell bitch for sale at a cheap price let me know.