Landing net info reqd.

Jim Murray

Was trying(unsuccessfully) for a big trout on the Cong Canal in Mayo a few weeks ago. The banks are very overgrown and I just had my normal triangular net

with me. Very annoying as it kept snagging all the time.

One day I seen a passing angler with what looked like a superb design of net

over his shoulder. The mesh seemed to be enclosed in a tube presumably to be

released only when needed. Any idea what this net was or pointers to further

info. about it?

Jim.

may be he had the same trouble and used a bit of plastic tube with a bit of string on ,poke out your net pull the string and the tube slides off :D i suspect a short bit of string needs to be on the bottom of the net to enable it to be pulled back into the tube after use ,just a thought

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm wondering if it was a Fastnet. I too get fed up with knocking my rods off the rests with an out of control landing net handle after landing a fish. Unplugging the arms from the sreader block isn't the answer either, especially on a river.

With a Fastnet, the spreader block slides up the handle, while the arms fold together and follow it. It's a brilliant idea that has been around since the 1970s, but for some reason never achieved the success it deserved. The latest models with metal blocks seem to have superior engineering to the previous plastic versions. I found the website: [http://www.redport-net.com

but I can't seem to get anybody to answer my emails. Does anybody know if the company still exists?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

It would not have been a Fastnet because although their erection is a simple process it is not really possible with one hand.

A good friend of mine sold the Fastnet company to Redport Nets some time ago now having spent years developing the nets so I know a fair bit about them.

You might be surprised just how many thousand were sold Peter, not only here but in Europe as well.

I would love to buy one. I just can't find any way of doing it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.