Thank you to the Wife

RUDD

After picking up the Eldest and returning home I found my Wife was cooking gammon, chips and sweetcorn helped by the youngest.

Unfortunatly she had cut a finger on a broken glass so I took over and served dinner all except approx 30 bits of corn.

After two days of good weather and having seen alot of fish sunbathing during lunchtime walks I had the itch.

Funny thing is I was planning to get the beachcasters out to try for a cod, until I saw that pan of sweetcorn simmering away.

Straight after dinner I announced I was off fishing and would wash up on my return in an hour or so, the time was 19:30

Grabbed the corn, five handfulls of 4mm pellets, chair, mat, net/handle and a ready rod case containing a waggler rod already to go.

Put on a fleece, smock and hat, off I trotted.

Reached to venue at 20:00hrs as it got dark and my choosen peg had the now NE wind blowing right into it.

Last night at about 1930 I had put in two handfulls of pellet whilst out on the bike.

Quickly plummed up in the little light left, put on a single bit of corn and in went a half handfull of pellet.

TBH I was not expecting dven a bite but as I put plummet away the insert waggler gave a slight dip. My strike was late as I was not holding rod and the hook came back bare.

Second put in and I had to turn on headlamp go see the float. Time 20:15

After a few minutes another dip and fish on. A short dogged fight saw a cross crucian of around two pounds in the net.

Next put in I feed three bits of corn and a pinch of pellet.

At 20:30 a true crucian was landed, a bit smaller than the first fish.

Then missed a decent bite and my hands and feet were feeling the chill in the dark.

I decided I would fish until 21:00 or next fish ( if I were lucky enough to get one).

The next bite was a slow sail away resulting in a much heavier feeling fish thar gave a slow determined fight that hooped the rod into a lovely curve.

I soon landed a common carp of around six pounds - I was chuffed to bits.

21:00 - one last cast, a few bits of corn only and the float did not settle, the insert which should of been taken down to last quarter of an inch just stood proud so I struck. Another crucian around two pounds.

Ok, one last cast. It took about ten mins until another cross crucian of the same stamp graced my net.

21:30, yes you have guessed it, one last cast. One that was taken by a sudden gust of wind wrapping hooklenght round a branch.

A sure sigh it was time to leave.

Got the float back and packed up.

Walking back to the car I had on a four led headtorch set to both flood and spot. In my hand I had a small powerfull cree led torch. As I approached the car park a van pulled in, turned around a drove off quickly.

Very suspect but I assume the occupants saw what they thought were two people (lights) walking towards them giving them a shock!

Whilst fishing I had a good chuckle at a beetle dragging a bit of my corn towards its lair, it was still at it when I left.

On my short journey home of about 5 mins it started to rain, thank you also to that gust of wind!

The only downside is that I have just finished that wahing up including thd whole grill but a small price to pay for a very enjoyable and productive short session.

The venue was the clear deep pit and the peg was one of the spots I have been lightly prebaiting.

13ft waggler rod, 2500 sized reel, 3.4 mainline, 2.6 hooklenght, 16 widegape hook, 8 ft of water against marginal shelf, 4 aa insert waggler with all shot bar one no6 (just above hooklenght) around the float and cooked corn as bait - for anyone interested.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Apologies for the typing errors above, knackered and using a smart phone!

RUDD

RUDD,

Nice write-up. A session very much like I used to do. You think the van was up to no good?

Phone

PS: I like the way your last two words go together in the above post.

RUDD,

Nice write-up. A session very much like I used to do. You think the van was up to no good?

Phone

PS: I like the way your last two words go together in the above post.

The lane to the venue is about half a mile long and a dead end.

We get cars with lovers or kids smoking weed.

Ok with that as long as they take their rubbish with them.

I was around 200 yards from the car park walking beside a wood as the van came down the track.

As it pulled into car park I rounded a corner and would of come into the occupants view.

The van did a very quick u turn and was off sharpish.

At the time of night at and knowing the area my first suspects would be poachers after either game or fish (coarse or Trout).

RUDD