Newt help

Howard 13

Have you tried doing a thorough scan disc first? once youve done that and switched off your screensaver (display/screensaver in Control Panel) switch off any other programme you have going, i even close down my virus checker just to be sure.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

when did you last defrag,

do it once a week,

defrag in safe mode if you cant do it on normal screen.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

For details of which programmes to leave running and further help see.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q218160

Also if you don't have any A/V software then it is possible that a virus could cause the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q309460

The Q218160 article from Paul_H's link is excellent.

Only a couple of things I'd add.

If you are running 95/98, boot to DOS (as in restart, press F8 when you see Starting Windows..., and choose DOS from the menu of options). Then run

scandisk /surface /nosave /autofix. You will need to watch because even with the autofix/nosave switches, the stupid thing will still ask the first time it sees an error. But only the first time.

If you are running 98 (or have a friend who is and will give you scanreg.exe which works great on 95 but didn't ship with it) then while still at the DOS prompt

scanreg /fix and then scanreg /opt.

Then win /D:M to force a start in safe mode.

From c: delete any file having the pattern filennnn.chk where nnnn is any number. You could have none or hundreds. Delete em all.

From c:windowstemp delete everything.

From your browser, delete all temporary internet files.

Remove everything from the recycle bin.

note: I know the disk cleanup routine does some of the above but I'm never sure it does them as completely so I still opt to do these by hand.

Then proceed with the defrag. Let it run. Could easily take several hours and could well appear hung when it was working fine.

[ 26. September 2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Still no luck.Can't get defrag to start at all. :(

Tried doing a thorough scandisc but that didn't complete either.

I have everything off(screen saver and wallpaper) and when I preess cont/alt & delete all that it shows is systray & windows explorer.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

HB.

Howard - try booting from a floppy so the Hard Disk isn't doing anything at all.

Then do the scandisk with /surface check.

If it won't complete, you have major problems with either the drive or possibly with the drive controller. At any rate, a serious hardware issue.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Howard - one possiblilty no one mentioned is a virus. Have you run a complete scan (all files - not just some) using current def files?