Line bite readings?

Dave H

How can you tell what fish is giving you a line bite? The two characteristic bites I get are a slow rise and stop. The other a jerk rise and a sudden drop. In the past I have thought the stable rise as a bream and the jerk the carp or tench.

Coming back after a 15 year layoff due to off-spring and time and costs of them I have not yet fished many places as I have been damn ill for half the year but the fish I have caught or i know have been stocked with just about every species.

I fished quite a bit at wingham and noticed I barely got line bites during the day but unquestionably the odd session at night. Mostly it was a knock and then off it span and on Worm it’s not rocket science that it’s an eel but then it was that finicky type bream bite once you know the one that rises smoothly and then drops slowly but I dismissed it as in my familiarity the disturbance would have spooked the bream away and eels and Bream can’t tolerate each other anyway. Then maybe a Pike but that’s almost like an Eel take. Maybe a Tench but the movement was not tench like it was too smooth and not jerk jerk. This went on for a good 15 minutes and by now I had not sat on my hands but severed them clean off!

The temptation was just too much as 15 minutes may not sound too long at home but it is in the dark behind a rod. I gently struck and with a whoosh off something went but it was not small and I was left with nothing.

So the question beckons. Why not use a 6 inch bolt rig and be done with it. I did not find that experience pleasurable at 1am and about -1 C. If it had been caught and something very special then yes but if it had been a carp definitely not or just as dim-witted.

So, was I wrong to dissect the type of line bite? The bottom line I was self-assured it was a slow bream bite but not in an area of eels but I am convinced a carp or Tench would have moved off or taken the bait within that time span

Too much in my head? Too technical? Too geeky? . Do we just look into these things too much its fishing not rocket science...

And would long drop bobbins made my mind up? I don’t think so as there was still more room for the line to rise before it dropped . The other aspect is this and that many use huge drops in indication for bream so are we to believe that the bream is given 24 inches + before it’s struck? That smacks of a deep hooked one. And what if it’s a Tench because by the time you have got out of your bivvy thats a deep hooked one too or so far into possibly heavy weed or tree roots

There is one other thing and that is can we justify a running rig when we are laying half asleep in our bivvy . I always feel it’s either hooked or a wasted trip

Just a few thoughts I have had recently while fishing...I need to chill out perhaps. Maybe I switch to bolt rigs at night or just wind in and think of being 21 again...LOL

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave H,

These questions can only be sorted over a smooth 100 proof.

Actually, in my 65 years of fishing I don't think I've ever had a fish bite my line. Had a gar that half hitched himself in my line once but I don't think he bit it.

Phone

A bit of light reading ;)

Dave H,

These questions can only be sorted over a smooth 100 proof.

Actually, in my 65 years of fishing I don't think I've ever had a fish bite my line. Had a gar that half hitched himself in my line once but I don't think he bit it.

Phone

Yes you are right phone i agree i think many years back the simplistic rigs worked so well and i caught hundreds of good bream on the standard gear and methods. Like in all sports we like to discuss our sport as we are all in here and lets be honest the regulars are all the same group so very sociable too. There is nothing but hard debate but i have yet to see and personal feuds . Tempers maybe but it's always sorted out in the end.

A

Very interesting thread that and many views...I think that was one of a few that makes it worthwhile on here. I have looked through many on the search button but missed that one. I liked the Bobbin one too. There were a few others usually by our Budgie boy . Mind you of late some of mine have been pretty long too. I find it interesting old views against new ones especially by those around before who have switched methods and yet they caught just as many years back then...I noticed carp never got into the conversation i think that's why i read it to the end ...LOL

A single rise and fall or judder of a bobbin could be anything. Persistent rises or judders over a period of time could well be bream. That's about the limit of my knowledge!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, we really don't know and i think sometimes we look to much into things but then why not. Being passionate about your sport and looking and discussing has no harm in it in my view. Sometimes i have looked in search and found similar subjects but so what?. many don't come on here as its repetative but then every sport is like that and if it was brought up in 2008 (5 years back) there are many who have joined since then and might throw new light on the subject :)

And a swish of the paddle or something similar which moves the line around on the bottom if you have a slack line. However I think many fish can almost chew on bait moving the line without bolting off and light braid as a hook length can cause this which i think is not always a great method. I have seen footage of a bream stripping a piece of corn and not moving the bait. My biggest ever pike sat there for I think 10 minutes with the dead bait in its mouth. I decided to strike as I thought it might be weed as it was on the broads river but I reeled in a 32lber which in fairness fought like a sack of s**t until I got it on the bank when all hell broke loose. So I think line bites can be either unless it’s a carp where they usually are just pre occupied with stuffing themselves.

A lot of what you're describing is poor bite indication of actual bites, rather than line bites.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music