River Ouse, above Olney

bayponds

Hi all -

I've got an invite to fish a 1.75mile stretch of the Ouse just above Olney. I believe the stretch is called Clifton Reynes, and is controlled by the CSAS - does anybody have any info/advice on the water, and best methods to use? many thanks.

Hi all -

I've got an invite to fish a 1.75mile stretch of the Ouse just above Olney. I believe the stretch is called Clifton Reynes, and is controlled by the CSAS - does anybody have any info/advice on the water, and best methods to use? many thanks.

hi,i dont know exactly which stretch you are fishing but it probably wont be very far from or much different from the stretch i fished a couple of weeks ago.It is controlled by the Olney and Clifton fishing assosiation and their websit can be found @ www.olneyfishing.co.uk.You can buy tickets from Olney bait supplies..If you get the chance,try olney mill,it has easy access and its a very nice looking stretch.If it's big fish you want fish large halibut pellets or boilies(something like mainlines activ8)on the hair rig with a heavy feeder containing smaller pellets.These will attract large bream,tench,chub,barbell and carp with plenty of loose feed to bring em in.If i were you i would buy a permit that allows you to fish at night,this is when you will get the most action and a better chance of a barbell.Hope this helps,good luck.

The CSAS side of the river (immediately below Clifton Reynes) is on the Eastern bank and opposite side of the Olney & Clifton stretch.

As Wellyphant says, it's a very nice looking stretch of the Ouse and there are plenty of big fish in there; or so I'm told! Never had the good fortune to land one of the barbel or the huge river carp that are supposed to be there, but I've managed a few good chub. There's plentiful silver fish, which also means good opportunities for perch & pike. Check out the Olney website, you'll see what the rewards can be.

You'll enjoy it, it's a lovely river.

Our chief weapon is surprise

thanks for the info - I've checked the Olney website, and got some useful info from there, too. Puzzled - does the CSAS stretch start east bank just adjacent to Beanfield and down to Talbot's?

I dont think I will be fishing Olney Mill, but it does look good - isn't this where Matt Hayes fished in his 'Mainstream' series?

Remember as a Kid fishing Olney in the 30's and 40's, a magic place, fishing the mill was even more so, the Bream in the mill outlet were the best. I used to wade in (had short trousers in those days) and fish into the deep pool where it came out from the mill

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Hi welly and puzzled -

just had my day's fishing at Clifton Reynes. Thanks for the info - it was spot on. Fished a spot just upstream of the old railway embankment. No huge hauls, but some nice bream around 6lbs and a few tench up to 5lbs made for an enjoyable day. Judging by the bankside jungle, we were the first anglers to fish this side since the start of the season! Looking forward to a return visit in the Autumn.

tight lines!