Win 8 problem

chesters1

Everything was fine yesterday ,today the machine froze after 5 mins just a rotating circle ,now starting up seems ok but clicking anything results in a rotating circle which rotates for 5 minutes then a black screen then 5 minutes and a "your machine etc " with a sad face .

Its rebooted does it sort itself we shall see

Got to my desktop.....steam has forgotten its password!

Did it rollback automatically to somewhere how do i find out what it was ?

Udio service not running stra nge perhaps its a prob with that?

Doing a advanced system care sweep ,audio service appears now to work no red sign on the speaker icon

Everything frozen again rotating circle ,good job i have this playbook!

Cpu doing 0to 1% enough to rotate a circle i expect

Sad face and reboot

3 reboots later ,starting anything gets it working but 20 seconds or so into it and the rotating circle appears and everything stops

Mouse still works though to rub it in!

Not heat or dust tried that first

Strange an office diag box has appeared and now sits there not responding

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can you do a system restore to a time before the problem started? If not or if that doesn't fix the problem,

http://www.reginout.com/Windows-8-Hangs.html has some ideas that may help.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

lemme guess...laptop with an ATI video card?

there are two things on ati chipsets tat ause windows 8 issues...all because ATI don't support the older chipsets properly.

there is a service that needs to be disabled and the high def audio chipset that can cause the issues. in most cases disabling the service is all that's required...its an aTI hotkey service. (called ati external event )

however if it aint an ATI video system that wont be the issue! :)

System restore didnt work ,using a mirror of the drive didnt work because it couldnt find it on my usb disk!?!,refresh didnt work ,install over install didnt work so it was a total reinstall ,luckily i had an easy transfer from last week and a moz backup.it also went into an auto repair loop on every boot so i gave up and reinstalled

Mobo is a 990extreme 3 so win 8 friendly, 8 core buldozer and 16 gig of ram and a nvid 480 graphics card so all new stuff (compared to my old stuff) latest drivers ,however it does install a ATI set of drivers for something or other.

I was 5 mins into skyrim and my day went downhill from then

Once it was installed and fully updated i did a backup and just like last time it skipped files despite plenty of room on the destination drive

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

wont be ATI stuff on that system; that's only for older laptop chipsets.

its loading an AMD all in one driver. which will probably involve the ati hd audio chipset so you could try disabling that in bios if the problem rears its ugly head again.

there are several BIOS updates for that board to enable full windows 8 support as well:

latest BIOS is version 1.50 so it might be worth checking you have that installed; those motherboards have easy flash bios systems that are superb for updating bios anyway; so its worth doing if you don't have that version.

did you boot into safe mode before your reformat?? didn't give me much of a chance to diagnose for you did ya :P

It refused to boot into anything whatever it was got progressively worse every time it booted ,thought it had cleared itself a couple of times but running anything froze everything bar the mouse and a LAN monitor ,the audio problem could well be because its drivers load late on and hadnt loaded before the freeze that occurred 10 seconds or so after you clicked the desktop.

I think an explorer prob but who knows

Checked the bios its 1.5 ,tried uninstalling bing bar and it sat once more with its circle and a unresponsive report of an unresponsive program after 5 mins pushed soft reboot button now its disk checking

Compared to yesterday its taking 5 times longer to boot ,its upset at something

Not sure what it uses to disk check by the speed of it probably norton utilities 1995!

Edited by chesters1

Yes totally clean

Its now rebooted but taking an age to do anything ,just a blue window and another rotating ring

Did a virus check of all the system last thing last night

Still the window and ring

Unhappy face and reboot

Starting an auto repair so my face is unhappy

Everything taking an age still diagnosing

Couldnt fix it

In advanced options i tried refresh but its asking for a password i never used!

So is system image recovery

Tried what i think is safe mode

Nothing happened so hit the soft reboot button again now its trying to auto repair again

Whats to bet it cannot

Getting really weird now i cannot refresh because the drive is locked!switched off using the only option

Now disk checking again ,disk 5 months old and works fine on installing but goes mad the next morning ,disk wampires?

Edited by chesters1

Sat "fixing " the disk for ages on 41% but no disk light blinking ,lying disk wampires i guess?

How do you boot into safe mode F8 appears to be ignored

,ooh disk light blinking its awake,no it just told lies still at 41%

Never went past 41% it rebooted so back to the fixing bit again

Seems fixated on disk errors yet system care found none and smart reports nothing wrong yesterday

Perhaps its that invisible 100mb one ?

"repairing disk errors ,this may take over an hour to complete" whats it using win 3.1 disk check?

Edited by chesters1