Why clip up ?

leedsunited

I dont allways use the clip in the conventional sense. For accuracy I always use a line mark of either paint or braid. I then attempt to cast accurately and use the mark to tell me if I hit the spot. There are three reasons for this. The first is the fish running off at speed( though I no some who can unclip very fast). The second is that the stretch in mono lines can be enough to stop that cast being as accurate as you might think. The third reason is that when fishing a feeder I want to the feeder to fall strait through the water not in an arc as it will if it is tight to a clip. If the feeder falls in an arc the groundbait can be spread all over the place.

When I do want to clip up I tend to use a long braid marker and put the marker under the clip rather than the line. This can be pulled out by a running fish.

All The above applies to a match style of fishing, I am sure there are other considerations with some Specemin styles.

What i don't understand is why clip up when you can just mark the line with a marker pen or use a stop knot ?

When we're on the subject , when i mark the line with a marker , am i going to be able to see the mark easily enough ? And should i mark it on the last rod ring or near the reel ?

What else can i do to mark the line apart from a stop knot ?

Thanks

when casting for the first time keep the rod at 90 degrees to the water, when the feeder hits the bottom clip up then tighten up when next casting do the same except as the feeder hits the water after the line has has hit the clip let your rod tip down quickly any subsequent casts should be the same distance avoiding it falling in an arc

when you think you know everything think again....

Leeds

First I must point out that what I am saying applies to match style fishing but as I believe you are off on a feeder fishing trip I think that would be appropriate.

There are two reasons for clipping up rather than using a marker. One is that it prevents overcasting which is usefull when casting to a far bank or an island.

The second reason is that it is easier. You can cast out and just wait for the clip to stop your feeder without having to judge your cast too accurately. The problem here is , as I sugested earlier, when the feeder/lead reaches the clip it will stretch the line reducing accuracy in some cases the feeder may come back toward you. Also the feeder will come back toward you in an arc as it sinks on the tight line spreading bait, obviously not a problem if you are using a lead. Not all people will use the clip in this way some do just use it as a mark but too many actually cast out and let the line peel of untill the clip stops it.

With regard what marker to use as you state there are two alternatives a braid knot (whcih can also be used under a clip), and paint. I tend to use the quick drying paint used for float tops. The only problem here is that finding one that dries quickly and stays on well enouigh this can be a real problem. I use one by leada that is 8 years old. A third alternative I have seen but not used is electrical tape.

With regard seeing the marker this should not be a problem as you do not want to see the marker during the cast. The idea of a marker is to confirm that you have cast to the correct spot so you only need to see it once you havemade the cast. Marks and clips realy do need to be (in most cases though I can think of some specific exceptions) a confirmation of where you have cast rather than a meens of actually achieving an accurate cast. You must concentrate first and formemost on accurate casting.

Hope some of the above helps good luck

Easy method:

Just twist an elastic band onto your spool when you get the perfect cast. Strong enought to stop the tackle going further than it should but soft enough to release if a big one is hooked.

Remember kiss, keep it simple stupid!

This is the best and most reliable 'clip up' ive come across. Use it youll know.