Back leads

Quest

I have experimented with the flying types and found them to be of limited use. The gardiner ones. not too great. maybe it was just me not setting them up correctly.

not a good idea to use these when fishing to a bar or where the bottom is undulating(like that word).

There are several uses for back leads and the various situations will dictate which type is best.

They can be used at their simplest just to pin the liner to the bottom from the lead to under the rod tip.This is good for avoiding line bites and therefore possibly spooking fish.It also helps reduce tangles when landing a fish.You can use "captive back leads" for this.These are very heavy ones that are secured to the bank by cord,attached to the line with a built in adjustable line clip and positioned in the water directly under the rod tips.Upon a take the line pulls from the clip.

To achieve the same you can also just attach a lead with a link clip on to the line after casting and slide it into the same position.On a take the lead remains on the line and just slides down it during the fight.

Some times you may just want to pin the line a few feet or so above the rig to the bottom.Others the topography of the bottom (ie hollows,dips or bars etc) may dictate that the line needs to be pinned down at a certain distance between rod tip and lead.Here the "flying backlead" can be used.This is simply a free running lead placed on the main line above the rig.It will fly back on the cast.A more acurate alternative is to use the good old lead and clip again and just slide it down the line to the required length.Distance you are fishing will influence this choice to a certain degree.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I am using the Fox Captive Back Lead in the 1.25oz or the 2oz range but only using it at short range.

Have to agree with Budgie on the flying backleads on casting long distances -

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/