Help on the river please.

RiverRover

Hi all.

Its been a good few years since i fished the river but now im drawn back.

The thing is i forgot everything i learnt.

Im fishing the river severn at leighton and this is a very underfished stretch.

I like a mixed bag of fish and i like to start at dawn and end at dusk.

What is my best way of aproaching this river?

I love to trot and put leger out at butty time.This strech has everything from fast glides to almost still stretches.

Where can i start as i want a swim that will offer me sport all through the day.

Help me guys. Thanx.

I used to fish the Severn at Ironbridge.

Most productive way was to fish the feeder with hemp and caster for barbel and chub.

Best sized barbel and chub on legered luncheon meat.

Most fun, hemp and caster under a big wire stemmed stick float for chub, dace and roach. You need plenty of bait for this or for the feeder.

Hi RiverRover :) I've been fishing the Leighton stretch for over 25 years now, & you're right when you say it's an under fished stretch of water. I'm living down South now so don't get up there much to fish it, but it can be very productive if you know where to fish, & different swims come into their own at different times of the season. First winning match weight of the season was 72lb! So fish are on the feed.

What with the terrible floods we've seen in the last few years, the fish have definitely had time to spawn this year as the conditions have been perfect. Maybe a good season is in store this year going off the first match weight! :)

Are you familiar with the pegging on this stretch RR? If so, let me know where you've been, & maybe i can point you in the right direction for some decent mixed bags :)

[ 01. July 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Judley ]

Hi Judley.

Yeah i am familiar wityh the pegging of this stretch. I been doing well on peg 10a for barbel but i like the look of pegs 12 to 16 as they are slow and deep.

Where have you had the most mixed bag of fish.

Thanx

Ay up RR :)

Peg 1c in the top meadow below Cressage bridge for a definite mixed bag mate. There was a 30lb bag of Dace, Roach & Chub taken off it a few seasons ago - lovely glide down to Cressage Ford. I usually fish the waggler in the middle, or if there's a drop of water on send a stick down a rod out. You will latch on to the occasional Barbel there though, but that's those Severn pigs for ya!

A favourite peg of mine many years ago for mixed stick sport was Peg 11a in the brook mouth where the gate/fence is. If there's a drop of water on though, you won't get down to it without chest waders!

Have you been & fished the otherside at all? Peg 39/40?

I looked at the first meadow this morn and fell in love with the stretch but this is fished more than the second meadow.

I like the look of 11a. Whats it like down by the lillys just below and whats it like where the river narrows down by the bench swim.

Aint been that far down yet, are 39 40 good.

thanx

"I looked at the first meadow this morn and fell in love with the stretch but this is fished more than the second meadow."

Yes & no. If there's been a decent weight come off a Brigde meadow peg folk will hammer it, as there isn't the walk involved

"I like the look of 11a."

Give it a go mate - never gets fished so bang the bait in.

"and whats it like where the river narrows down by the bench swim."

Ahhh, "John's Peg" RIP John - Peg 13. My favorite swim on the Leighton stretch mate, though Barbel predominate. You'll pick up a few decent Dace, the odd Chub & Roach, but mostly Barbel.

Peg 39 is another favourite of mine. Comes into form late on when the leaves start to drop from the trees in the autumn, but can fish well all year. My old man took a 10oz Dace off it last season.

[ 01. July 2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Judley ]