Feeding Patterns

carping_mad

Hi guys from another thread, (How Many) i took this

quote:

It used to be that as long as Iwasn't going to knacker someone elses fishing I'd throw em all in. I have recently cottoned on to the fact that this may adversly effect feeding patterns (ie the fish wait till end of day for a feast) so know I feed em to the birdies.
And got me thinking again, as to different fishes feeding patterns, i would say that this is one of the reasons why maybe the bigger more cautious fish can sometimes be caught at the end of the day when it starts to get dark, from right under the rod, is because they have learnt that this can be safer,

Now i am sure this topic has probably be done before now but, i would like to know your thoughts on this please :)

Been fishing now twice with jonah to a place called Roman Lakes, and on both occasions just at sun set, around 4:30-5 on the first session and 5-6 the second, just getting dark, the fish started going bollistic. I was catching every cast and reeling them in!

If i get your point correctly, ur saying this is due to the fish knowing people throw their bait in last thing and the fish knowing it is safer!!!!

My response (with little experince) would suggest this is almost definately not the case.....as 1) they were small fish so hardly had time to learn an act like that 2) Where we fish apparently very few people actual use to fish!

In my own personal opinion, i believe it is due to general feeding patterns, maybe as dark settles the fish know its safer due to reduced visablity for preditors!!

I`m speculating and i`m sure someone will give a better response, but i would be suprised if your assumptions were true... i stand to be corrected!

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Evening Carpin

Completely agree with it. A few years ago i fished a park lake in oldham on a regular peg. one evening after the guy next to me packed up and kindly through his leftovers in the margin :mad: 10 min later i heard the slurping start as a 20+ mirror munched all the freebies off the concrete margins.for a few trips after i packed up i would hang around the swim and the same fish could be seen each evening going to the same pegs.Never did fall for the traps i laid for it :confused:

You can look at the catch rates of fish when you place your rig a couple of yards off the baited area.The size tends to be larger as they hang back letting the smaller fish test the water so to speak.they soon learn what safe and whats not.Lots of fishery's now ban the throwing in of unused bait at the end of the day? Have they noticed a feeding pattern with a drop in catch rates until late afternoon???? Personaly i think they do learn that a free,hook free meal is there as we go home

Never forget the margins in the afternoon :):)

Tight lines

[ 10. March 2005, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: dazler ]

Thanks for your mixed opinions guys,

Evening to you to Dazler :)

See to my knoledge, with the slightly smaller fishies, i.e. Roach, i would say on most day small lakes, that get fished a lot by the day ticket anglers who go home after dark, i would say this is possibly the best time for having them, as as i have stated this is when they know the anglers chuck their food in for the day and so out come the fishies they feed on all the left overs, and mop it all up, but as craynerd stated, this is not always the case, but as you also say i think, the reduced visability helps as well, as they cannot see what is around them as much therefore are slightly les susspisious, for instance (i am probably wrong on this one but from what i have learnt) a lot of match anglers like to cloud up the water with their groundbait, and this is to attract the fishies in, but i have also found that by doing this, it also makes the bigger fish more confident ( i dont know why, but this is the effect i have found)

And as Dazler Said never forget the margins! ever! lol.

Your thoughts on this will be aprecited thanks :)

craynerd:

In my own personal opinion, i believe it is due to general feeding patterns, maybe as dark settles the fish know its safer due to reduced visablity for preditors!!

What a great point. I have not thought of it that way before, and could imagine that's totally right.

I love pike fishing, and I often do well as the sun is on its way out, and perhaps that is because the pike are out and about knowing that other fish will be too.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Low light conditions are always the best time to fish.

During the warmer months I either do early morning or late afternoon/evening sessions.

During the winter afternoons into evening are good as the water may have warmed up a fraction.

Anglers who night fish for carp at my club waters fish in the margins as the bigger carp do tend to feed as it gets dark on the leftovers.

I have even kicked in a whole slice of bread by accident and watch two carp rip it to bits inches from the bank!

The majority of our club anglers arrived around 10am and leave around 5pm as they like to make a day of it, as I packed up they arrive and as I arrive they pack up.

One of my favorite ploys is to watch where they have been feeding and when they go home put my bait on that spot.

Nice free prebaiting!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!