Stateside

Brian Carragher

Thinking of getting some stuff from the States but wondering about carriers, I know its been mentioned before but can't remember the answer, so is there any carriers to be avoided to avoid the tax and duty being applied as a matter of coarse

The shop Stateside use UPS as a carrier and I think, but can't be sure that they levy the tax and duty just in case whereas other carriers are a bit more lenient in their application of the levy, so any of the regular importers of goods from the States have any advice or hints of who to use and who to avoid

I'm after a fishfinder and they're pretty cheap over there (about half price on current exchange rates) but am a bit wary that carriage and the tax and duty levy might make it a bit of a no go

Just dont use FedEx Brian.Not only do they pay the import duty for you (without asking) but then when they try to recover it from you charge you a £5 for doing so!

Remember also that the duty is calculated on the combined cost of the item and shipping and not just the item price alone! Another great example of Rip off Britain. USPS are fine but as with all the others its a bit hit and miss if you get billed. I always work on the premise I will then treat it as a bonus when I dont.Out of interest over all the years and many hundreds of times Ive recieved goods from the US Ive only been billed twice (once by FedEx and once I had to pay at the Post Office on collection).

Ive got the exact allowances on a customs leaflet some where if you need them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

USPS is your choice. Good prices and the lowest admin fee if you do owe import fees although many packages with high enough prices to incur import charges go through without.

UPS, FedEx, DHL will all insure you pay any import fees and their admin charges are 4-6 times higher than USPS.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President