Targetting grass carp

Piperspruce

After landing a grass carp on my local club lake by accident I've become interested in targeting them specifically. I've located an area where a few seem to be loitering and have been trying to catch them off the top without much success. They are very close to a bank at the end of the lake, which has no pegs along it, but as soon as somebody walks along that bank they drift off.

So I've been thinking about trying to tempt them away from their hideout into more open water but would appreciate some advice from those more experienced than me as to what in the way of loosefeed might persuade them.

I've read corn can work, as well as cherry tomato as hookbait, but has anyone else attempted this?

Piper,

As skilled as UK anglers are with white bread that's what I'd use in the UK. Even dog biscuts. Grass carp are not put off by a float. I like to fish a floating bait just under the surface. (6 to 10 inches) I fish with the "grape" tomatos right on the hook myself but only because they are easy. Grass carp are not hard to catch once located. JMHO I don't believe they respond to chumming very well. Fish the edge of plant life.

A word of caution. Grass carp do not do well out of water for extended periods.

A side bar. Grass carp respond to underwater sound recordings of other grass carp munching on hydrilla. That's the "best" way to chum them.

Good luck. They have one very powerful run in them and then pretty much calm down .

Phone

(Do you know if they are triploid?)

Slow sinking bread all the way.

Set up a small bubble float or light waggler; 2-3 foot length to hook.

Pinch flake on and dip it before you cast, with practice you'll get it just right so the bread will slowy drop through the water when it lands.

Feed sinking pellets just before you cast, only about 5-10 of them, cast, then re feed a few pellets again.

Another method is to try the reed beds. Grass carp love to take beetles etc off of underwater reed stems just beneath the water level. A small light float, with about a foot to hook, with bread or pellet fished tight to reeds will tempt them if you trickle feed in.