A hello and a question!

fisherman1985

Hi all,

I'm newly registered to the forums although I have had a lot of questions answered by you guys from reading other topics in the past so thanks for that!

I live in Surrey and generally fish my local stretch of the River Wey which is owned (mostly) by Godalming Angling Society. My question today is, can anybody recommend me a decent quiver-tip rod for general river purposes. Preferably around the £50 mark. I'm trying to steer clear of a "power feeder" or anything like that. I don't need to cast huge distances, or huge weights, any my current £20 Shakespeare 9ft Omni-X quiver tip has caught me a 10lb river carp so I know a "power feeder" isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance. I would be interested to know if anybody else fishes around the same area?

Thanks!

As it happens, a mate is selling his gear due to ill health and has a rod which may be exactly what you're after.

It's a Shimano Aero medium feeder; 11' 6", 3 piece with 2 original tips; tip to middle action with plenty of power in reserve; pristine, almost unfished condition with original bag (although this has discoloured in a couple of places); original retail price £110, yours for £40 plus postage.

There's one on Ebay now, so you can have a look and see what you think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400541799455?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I use a TFG Compact Commercial 8ft Feeder Rod on little rivers. Cheap as chips and it does the job.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks for the responses. Viney, I'd be targeting mostly chub and the big perch that I know are in the Wey Navigation. I prefer by twin-tip you mean a quiver and and avon/float tip? I think I'd probably prefer an out and out quiver tip - the waters I fish don't really require any else.

Thanks for that also Rob and Ken, I'll check both rods out.