Do they ever learn

ridgeacre

Just seen this thread after being on holiday.

My twopenceworth:

Nige Williams' head simply got too big once the celebrity status settled in and I think he thought he could do know wrong.

He (before the livebait incident) was living in a world where everybody he came across was giving him respect for his achievements and singing his praises. He was almost the official voice of pike angling in Anglers Mail and the sun shone out of his bum.

No surprise his head got so big that he thought he could do no wrong.

What is amazing that he managed to fit such a swollen head so far up his ar$e whilst also keeping it in the clouds at the same time.

The prat (seems to be the chosen diagnosis) deserves what he gets.

Simon

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie thats a very well reasoned and written viewpoint from an obviously experienced angler who's probably seen one or two things in his time. I pretty much agree entirely.

The two cases could very well be taken as an example of how the natural environment is held in regard at this point in time.

The first err of the angler in questions judgement and in my opinion by far the worst of the two could of had potentially (however large or small) terrible consequences, is met by a small fine and then the second, a bogus insurance claim is met by a much stiffer sentence.

The livebait thing is pretty much indefensible. The second offence is less so to a certain extent. I don't know if the guy is a full time angler or not, if so, how much cash do you earn from that? Nobody knows the circumstances behind it. Were there any personal reasons that pushed him into making the desicion or was it just pure greed.

The second offence dosn't really to my mind have too much bearing of angling itself regardless of whether he's a famous fisherman or not. The fact it was a boat dosn't really make much difference, would it be different if it were the carpets in his house.

Would say a known writer get lambasted for trying to pull off a claim on his computer?

Insurance companies are, as many of us know personally, far from upstanding keepers of morals.

The guy might just be a bit shifty and may of gotten away with all sorts of things in his angling 'career', nobody knows or will know.

A soiled reputation will probably turn out to be far more costly both finacially and mentally than any fines he occurs.

Just my opinion on a matter I know very little about, like everyone else.

The biggest problem with bogus insurance claims is that the honest person such as me ends up paying higher annual fees to cover the cost of the bogus claims. It is a selfish act that shows the caricature of the man, add this to the fish smuggling crime and you get a picture of the personality of the Man. Not someone that should be representing our sport.

I don't care what or if there are extenuating personal circumstances he should know better. It looks like he has now lost a mayor source of his income as a result. He only has himself to blame and will now I am sure slip into angling obscurity. How different it could have been for him if he had chosen to stay on the straight and Narrow.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Just seen the thread. If you break the law and get caught, then tough, it serves you right. If you break another law, and get caught again, then tough, it serves you right again. But then you've got to realise that you aren't very good at breaking laws and maybe should think about following the straight and norrow permanently. Only time and good behaviour, will one day convince people you aren't going to let them down again. Until that time, you have to assume that no-one trusts you.

Yes, I have broken laws, and got caught. It served me right!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org