Wanting to start up again

potbellyotm

hi folks this is my first post as im more of a lurker then a poster lol so the title really gives it away im after a couple of nice rods and reels to get back into the swing of this hobby again after leaving it a while ago. I am after a float rod and a feeder that is mainly for silver fish but i also want something able to land any surprised bites from any larger fish as i will be fishing on commercials mainly but will dabble on the river occasionally.

so i was thinking it has to be rather sensitive for the silver fish but could handle a larger tench or bream and possibly smaller carp, although ideally i want an all rounder but mainly a decent floater for silvers with a nice reel to go with it.

Ive not really used feeder rods so do not know what to look for but again a decent rod and reel is what i am after, all advice an suggestions are very welcome indeed.

get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Wilson-Signature-Quiver-Deluxe/dp/B005UMJTDM itwill allow you to choose to float fish or feeder fish from light to more heavy, you can target carp, barbel and tench feeder fishing or straight lead, free lining for chub or trotting a float for dace and roach.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

The Avon/Quiver that Peter suggested is a good rod, I have two of the older original 11ft JW Avon/Quivers which I still occasionally use for Tench, Crucians & Chub etc.

The only drawback with this rod is that if you need to cast a waggler any distance it doesn't have stand-off rings which helps by preventing the line from sticking to the rod blank in damp conditions when casting light floats.

Otherwise this is a good choice of rod in it's price range, which is very versatile.

If you do need to cast light wagglers any distance; you could also get yourself a commercial float rod with stand-off rings suitable for casting both normal wagglers and larger pellet wagglers on commercials; and able to handle both smaller species like Roach, Rudd, Dace etc. plus larger species of fish like Tench, Bream, Crucians, Chub etc. and Carp into double figures, and for trotting for Barbel on moving waters with a stick or Avon float.

Having both types of rod (Avon/Quiver rod and Commercial float rod) would cover most of your requirements and probably be Ideal for you to start off with.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All depends on your budget, there is a massive choice out there (if in stock).

The Shaksphere Mach 3 range is good in the 60-70 quid range - the pellet waggler rod gets top reviews by anyone that has used them.

Then theres the Drennan puddle chucker range 70-80 pounds followed by the series 7 series in the 90-100 pounds.

After that the Maver Reactorlite serices or Prestons in the 110-160 price range.

TBH I would go for the 11ft Mach 3 xt pellet for commercial float fishing as you wont get anything better at their price.

But Lathams angling on line have Prestons Carbon active mini series 11ft float at 99.99 at the moment!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

All depends on your budget, there is a massive choice out there (if in stock).

The Shaksphere Mach 3 range is good in the 60-70 quid range - the pellet waggler rod gets top reviews by anyone that has used them.

Then theres the Drennan puddle chucker range 70-80 pounds followed by the series 7 series in the 90-100 pounds.

After that the Maver Reactorlite serices or Prestons in the 110-160 price range.

TBH I would go for the 11ft Mach 3 xt pellet for commercial float fishing as you wont get anything better at their price.

But Lathams angling on line have Prestons Carbon active mini series 11ft float at 99.99 at the moment!

my budget is around £200 for a rod and real maybe a tad more if i really like a rod and it will be the best rod for the job

hi folks this is my first post as im more of a lurker then a poster lol so the title really gives it away im after a couple of nice rods and reels to get back into the swing of this hobby again after leaving it a while ago. I am after a float rod and a feeder that is mainly for silver fish but i also want something able to land any surprised bites from any larger fish as i will be fishing on commercials mainly but will dabble on the river occasionally.

so i was thinking it has to be rather sensitive for the silver fish but could handle a larger tench or bream and possibly smaller carp, although ideally i want an all rounder but mainly a decent floater for silvers with a nice reel to go with it.

Ive not really used feeder rods so do not know what to look for but again a decent rod and reel is what i am after, all advice an suggestions are very welcome indeed.

Out of interest how long was your break from fishing? :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon