Best rig book

channelislandcharlie

I am a lifelong sea angler who is starting to do a little coarse/carp fishing in the uk.While I know the basics I am struggling with some of the terms and jargon especially in the Carp world.Can anybody recommend a rig book which doesn't just show you how to make the rigs but actually explains the purpose of the specific rig so I can try and make sense of what's best to use and more importantly why.

Thanks

You also want the book to explain which rigs are designed for very limited and specific situations that they are probably not worth the effort for the vast majority of carp anglers. Lots of them are best suited for selling issues of carp magazines.

It might be more helpful since you are fairly new to this if people simply posted details of the 5-6 rigs that will fit the vast majority of conditions. I only know how to tie a couple of rigs but carp angling on this side of the pond is much simpler than where you are.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Don't know of any books like that myself.

It's a mine-field out there for the novice carp angler. The trouble is carp anglers are always looking for 'edges' and magazines need new things to show so rigs are constantly getting 'invented' and re-invented. Bottom line is most of the very best carp anglers stick with 1 or 2 favourites. They have the knowledge and skill to tweak things if necessary but for 98% of fishing a 'standard' rig will do. Find fish that are feeding or get them to feed. Then you'll catch.

Korda have a great website showing rigs. But they're a business that makes money from selling rig parts.

It doesn't need to get anymore complicated than this:

'Chilly' is a brilliant angler.

Channel,

I'm like Newt (other side of the penny). I never cease to be astounded by the "requirements" for carp fishing. Never the less, here is a site by a couple really great guys. Both are ex-Pats living in California. (I love 'em to death).

http://www.americancarpsociety.com/cypr_2tam_rigs.html

As for myself, I genearally always freeline or use a paylake rig. Here's a paylake rig.

shearsrig2.jpg

Posted by another fine American carper - - Oatmeal Jack (W VA)

Take a look at this URL. It is a "beginners" how to for carp fishing American style. http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49486

Without reading it all the basics are the "puff" (bait on the hook) and the "pack" wrapped around the puff and squeezed various number of times to control the breaking time.

Phone

Edit: The second URL is by Tom Brooks. I [the author] am able to pass this on to you do to the generousity of a mister Tom Brooks from Kings Mountain N. Carolina. Tom does very well in international competitions (i.e. World Championships)

Edited by Phone