How Embarassing

Jim Roper

"ASDA shoppers were left slightly baffled when the Weymouth store ran out of carrier bags yesterday - and borrowed some from a rival supermarket.

Customers poured out of Asda carrying their shopping in an assortment of bags, many of them advertising Safeway.

Asda said the shop in Newstead Road had been caught short after hordes of people had bought food and drink there because of the hot weather."

http://www.thisisdorset.net/dorset/weymout...NEWS_NEWS2.html

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I bet the Manager will be a "Greeter", by the weekend. :D:D

On the subject of supermarket plastic carrier bags.

There is a nice "con" going on in Ireland.

In the interests of "waste control" and the "enviroment", the shops are charging the Euro equivalent of 15p, per plastic carrier bag.

Fine if you are a resident, just go and buy a proper shopping bag.

But, the poor old tourist is rather stuck.

We used cardboard boxes, they were free. :P:P

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield:

I bet the Manager will be a "Greeter", by the weekend.   :D      :D  

On the subject of supermarket plastic carrier bags.

There is a nice "con" going on in Ireland.

In the interests of "waste control" and the "enviroment", the shops are charging the Euro equivalent of 15p, per plastic carrier bag.

I wouldn't say it's a "con". I certainly don't mind paying 20 cents for a plastic bag and I can certainly see a difference when I go over there. The abandoned cars in the bushes are still there, but not so many plastic bags. Anyway you can recycle the bags for later use even if you are a tourist or you could buy a proper shopping bag for a whole Euro[70p ish].

Hopefully the scheme will spread to Britain, our village would certainly benefit from it.

Colin

Colin Brett:

I wouldn't say it's a "con". I certainly don't mind paying 20 cents for a plastic bag and I can certainly see a difference when I go over there. The abandoned cars in the bushes are still there, but not so many plastic bags. Anyway you can recycle the bags for later use even if you are a tourist or you could buy a proper shopping bag for a whole Euro[70p ish].

Hopefully the scheme will spread to Britain, our village would certainly benefit from it.

Colin

I agree Colin. Folks whinge at being asked to recycle and whinge again when someone tries to think up ways to cut down on the amount of waste produced in the first place.

I am sure that we will see this over here and throughout the rest of the EU in due course.

[ 06. August 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Our local Lidl supermarket sells some really strong ones for 11p (no freebies at all). The lighter ones (c5p) are stronger than the normal Safeway ones but the strong ones will carry 60 mackerel with ease. I often put one inside another.

They are also good for flagging pheasants and coots when tied to a stick.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

If the high principles of enviroment protection and recycling were maintained, I wouldn,t have referred to it as a "con".

But, when I suggested I brought the carrier bags back for a refund, so that they could recycle them, they refused.

The carrier bags were the one journey cheapo type.

If we had bought them, they would have had to go into the dustbin anyway.

Or, in the case of scroats, the nearest hedgerow. :(

I would add, that in the many years I have visited Ireland, mainly the West coast, I have never experienced high instances of litter.

In fact, the opposite.

[ 06. August 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

Cranfield:

I would add, that in the many years I have visited Ireland, mainly the West coast, I have never experienced high instances of litter.

In fact, the opposite.

I have to agree that the level of litter in the west is much lower than back home here, but wherever there are people you cannot help but get litter. The charging for plastic bags I beleive has helped, it has certainly got a few people thinking when they go shopping.

Cranfield, when are you next in the west?

You never know we might even bump into one another someday.

Colin [Going shortly]

Colin, I was at Newport fishing with Mary Gavin-Hughes for the week 12th-19th July.

I may be back again this year, or it will be next July.

:)