Tackle rip off?

The stuff you can't fish without, the rods, reels, lines and hooks, have never been better or cheaper. The nonsense, like the £3 sweetcorn you mentioned, is only intended to extract as much money as possible out of the "instant fishermen" before they get bored and go on to something else.

Totally agree Colin.Anyone who buys their sweetcorn, mackeral, polystyrene pop ups,dissolving nuggets,rig tube,shrink tube and many other items from a tackle shop needs their bumps feeling!

As Den says you are paying more for the packaging than the item in a lot of cases! Also as soon as "carp" is added in the items description the price trebles. There is so much "tackle" used these days that wasnt developed for fishing but simply adopted from some other use.Find out the origonal intended use and source it from a supplier of such.For example shrink tube is cheap as chips from an electrical supplier yet costs a small fortune when it becomes "carp shrink tube"!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all my tackle is 10 years old or older and hasn't been looked after (my fault).

As youve found out looking after your gear is the secret. A lot of my gear is over 30 years old and still going strong.Buy quality and look after has always been my way and its paid off.

But is the quality of modern gear (regards longevity) the same? Im not convinced but it might not matter if the current trend for good tackle at such low prices continues.

As mentioned in my "New rods" thread my 1 3/4lb rods cost more in the early 80,s for one blank than my new ones cost ready made and complete for three! so by my math if the new ones only last 10 years I would have had the same use per £ from them?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Some interesting comments. Maybe we should create a database of 'alternative' products that do the exact same job as the over priced 'fishing tackle', such as the examples made in this thread about the beads and the electrical heat shrink sleaving. A mention of where you can source such things would be good too.

Baiting needle, goto a knitting supplier and get it much cheaper :lol: I bet there's loads of stuff that could make the 'list'.

How much does it cost to keep a shop running these days ? these guys need to make a profit to keep going.

I will gladly pay a little extra at my local tackle shop rather than e bay, if something is faulty you can simply take it back for an exchange, plus the good advice they give is excellent.

Last month I visited a tackle shop in west London with a work mate who wanted to start fishing, he had £250 to spend. We ended up walking out without spending a penny he flatly refused to part with any cash because the guy in the shop's attitude was so bad, how they keep two branches going begs belief.

Some interesting comments. Maybe we should create a database of 'alternative' products that do the exact same job as the over priced 'fishing tackle', such as the examples made in this thread about the beads and the electrical heat shrink sleaving. A mention of where you can source such things would be good too.

Baiting needle, goto a knitting supplier and get it much cheaper :lol: I bet there's loads of stuff that could make the 'list'.

Margerine tubs instead of bait boxes?

How much does it cost to keep a shop running these days ? these guys need to make a profit to keep going.

I will gladly pay a little extra at my local tackle shop rather than e bay, if something is faulty you can simply take it back for an exchange, plus the good advice they give is excellent.

Sure, I understand and agree, I just wont be taken for a mug by paying stupid money for bits of cast plastic. Like I said, a bit of engineering and substance to the product then I'm happy to part with my hard earned. But bits of plastic that can be sourced in other shops for a fraction of the price, I am not prepared to part with my cash for the fishing branded plastic.

Last month I visited a tackle shop in west London with a work mate who wanted to start fishing, he had £250 to spend. We ended up walking out without spending a penny he flatly refused to part with any cash because the guy in the shop's attitude was so bad, how they keep two branches going begs belief.

I also understand this. As a beginner and a non regular to Carters of Preston I was disgusted with the 'can't be bothered' attitude from some of their staff when I asked for assistance. He was a young lad so I'd guess bosses son, as he had that attitude typical of bosses son smacked arseyness, if you understand what I mean.

Margerine tubs instead of bait boxes?

That is actually not as daft as it sounds. I think it was about the seventies when match anglers started using the catering sized Kraft margarine tubs rather than the round bait boxes that were then available. The square shaped bait boxes in general use now are actually a development of those margarine tubs! (And generally nowhere near as tough as those things were!)

And don't even think of any Korda stuff...............you will need a second mortgage to buy his stuff :)

Den

It always struck me that companies like Korda have a vested interest....

Look at any of Danny Fairbrass's rigs, they all seem to be a case of 'just adding this here and that there...' and IMO seemingly unnecessarily complicating the issue. Based on having watched their 'Underwater ...' series the fish behaviour seems marginally affected at most by their rigs - and not always for the positive.

I recall Den telling me at WIngham last year to 'keep it simple' - which flies in the face of the Korda's and Mike Kavanagh's of this world. Over the last few years, I've managed to catch my fair share of carp using either a helicopter rig or running rig, and they really don't get more straightforward than that.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Makes sense Colin. I need a new tackle box and I know a tool shop that sells stuff that will do more than surfice, if I find the ones in the fishing tackle shops too expensive.

I've managed to catch my fair share of carp using either a helicopter rig or running rig, and they really don't get more straightforward than that.

Is this a "use the search function" type website or can I ask without being flamed, WTF is a helicopter rig??? :blink: