Chew does another monster

JV44

While it does indeed seem that Chew has developed a slightly more open minded view to pike fishing and its resultant revenue than most of the other big ressies I would very much doubt if this was the case Andrew. The whole thing is a political tightrope for the fishery management of a TR.Their primary customer (angling wise) and therefore their biggest income is after all the trout angler.Most trout anglers (and indeed TR managers) still regard the Pike as public enemy No1! they eat the trout and therefore should be removed at all costs! Yes I see what your saying (ie stocked on quiet to avoid upsetting the fluff chuckers) but very much doubt it. Things have improved a lot these days in regards to the pike and the resulting income they can produce off season being recognised by management but it needs to be remembered that this resulting income is still not (in perspective) that great and certainly wouldn't cover even the cost of the lost trout let alone loss of game anglers custom/trust etc.

But the question still remains why Chew has bucked the trend!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

But the question still remains why Chew has bucked the trend

That is the bit that I just couldn`t get my head round I spose it`s just that they must be more durable Pike if that is coz they are slower growing maybe ....but with that many troot to feast on why would they buck the trend and be slower growing .

Thought that Pike were more likely to go back in weight if they get moved to another water apart from the logiostics/cost of stocking with them?? one of those things that just don`t follow the accepted track I guess

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Sadly I have been involved in the transfer of thousands of pike from trout reservoirs to other waters (all non TR) NONE of these fish have flourished regardless of if they were 40's or jacks. They just don't seem to be able to adjust. Now I have no idea if non TR fish would do well or not if moved to a TR but very very much doubt if anyone would know as I just cant see the situation arising!

I'm fairly local to Chew and have done my time on the water pre this 'explosion' in big pike on there. I think when I fished it the usual tally of biggies would include 10-20 30s but no 40's...still good but nothing like the recent seasons. The reason behind Chew's success must be something to do with the sheer biomass in the place and not just the stocked trout (ie large quantities of coarse fish) as I bet they're easier for a pike to catch than the trout! Does all the success of the place make me want to go back and fish it? no chance! After being on the recieving end of bad attitude, scrambing to get to swims which is ridiculous and seeing people camped out there overnight in cars which quite frankly shouldn't be allowed I'd had enough. It had indeed turned into a bit of a circus which was no longer a relaxed experience. Give us a river 20 any day of the week.

Edited by Neil G
  • Like 1

• "Far less" at Farmoor! another strange abnomilly in the TR Piking scene! One of the ressies did some lumps (netted) many years ago and they didn't let anyone fish it! The other has never produced pike and they opened it several times with ensuing rubbish results! Then let us fish the right one but (it seems) all to late! But as you say good water quality and plenty of food so why was one producing lumps (albeit not many) and the other nothing?

After the amazing results of the Llandegfedd trials and the resulting Bough Beech ones etc a lot of anglers made the simple mistake of assuming that automaticly TR=BIG PIKE! many parted with a lot of big dough for nothing! As Ive mentioned befopre its the waters track record for producing big pike that's all important.And by this I don't mean one of lumps but several year in and year out. Before the triqals there was well documented and (in the right circles) well known knowledge of several 40lb + fish having been removed (got to remember its this "culling" by net etc that really gives you the gen on a waters potential) Every TR I know off and have bothered to have fished that has produced more than just the one of lump has had this "track record". AND equally important none of the "flop" waters have!

I'd have thought rainbows would be much easier for pike to catch than coarse fish? Someone I know who's done a lot of piking reckons rainbows for the most part don't even recognise pike as a threat as they've evolved separately. Coarse fish, on the other hand, have evolved alongside pike and have developed strategies to avoid becoming dinner.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Chew has never been rubbish, it's just now the bar has been set so high that when it doesn't produce a few 40s a season everyone will moan.

Not "Rubbish" but it was never in the same league before as the other big TR's BUT now not only is but is certainly on the cards to pass them....or will it?