Computer hot ?

Cranfield

How can you tell if your computer is getting hot, (prior to it bursting into flames ) ?

I was doing quite a bit of work on mine yesterday and became concerned that it had been on for a long time.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

when you bought it you may on the cd have a temperature monitoring software this will tell you the cpu temp and the system temp , also you probably have in your bios the same thing (although not a lot of good in windows :( ) the greatest maker of heat is a clogged cpu cooler switch off at the mains (but leave plug in) and take a look ,if the vanes are covered in dust then with a small paintbrush give thenm a clean ,DO NOT use a hoover nasty static electric lives in its nozzel

also the power supply fan gets very dusty clean this the same way (do not open the psu).

the vanes on the cpu cooler heatsink can get clogged ,you may (carefully) be able to get the fan off by unscrewing the four screws that hold it onto the heatsink and clean it :)

do not remove heatsink from cpu as it will need a thorough clean and then new heatsink compound and the cpu is very easily broken in clumsey hands

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

was doing quite a bit of work on mine yesterday and became concerned that it had been on for a long time.

I rarely turn my PC off!! Last time I had mine apart I used a hoover and it still seems OK. I'll use an air duster next time though! I've got to find and replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard soon as it's run out, which is one of the main reasons I don't turn it off at the moment!

quote:

I've got to find and replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard soon as it's run out, which is one of the main reasons I don't turn it off at the moment!

an old penny sized coin cell ,note its number before taking it out ,take a note of bios settings ,get a new one ,turn pc off at wall (leave plug in) put one hand on exposed metal case unpop the old one and pop in new one ,usually the bios will remain unchanged in its settings ,otherwise go through and check its ok

:)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for tips on the CMOS battery chesters1. I think mine's fully run out and I do turn off the PC from time to time. Sometimes it starts up again fine, but other times it takes about three goes to start up cleanly, so I'm a little suspicious as to what's going on.