Zone Alarm problem?

Peter Sharpe

A friend of mine is finding that his internet connection keeps dropping out, and what appears to be a small, flashing, magnifying glass icon is overlaid on the Zone Alarm icon in the taskbar. I can't find out anything about this. Does anybody know what on earth it is?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hi all

i gave up on zonealarm because it is basically a realy bad program which can take ages to load on boot up and tends to stop you doing most stuff on the net you would normally have no probs with dispite any authorising settings for sites it still plays up like a b###h id get shot of it if i were you but id be supprised if you have any ease doing that either now it has taken all your net settings over in the slim name of protection :rolleyes:

i use pc-cillan which came with my motherboard and its abit slow on boot but i find it very good dispite the company trying to get me to pay to continue using its update system they still give me updates but it will catch up and stop but untill then ill use with confidence.

billy

i have no problems with zonealarm at all, certainly nothing like you describe billy, i wouldnt use anything else.

having said that, i havent got a clue why its doing whatever its doing on your mates machine peter.

Most if not all Zonealarm problems are down to configuration, what he must do is check he has given explorer permission to connect to the internet in the program control box, if he is using XP it comes with a built in firewall, saying that I use XP but prefer the security of Zonealarm

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Internet Explorer has permission, but as on my machine, I denied all other Windows programs access. Why would Windows Explorer need to gain access, other than to download unwanted features or nark to Microsoft?

I've never seen this blinking magnifying glass icon appear before. There don't appear to be any alerts or other problems, but it does seem to freeze internet access. I believe McAfee has a similar icon that might be indicating a conflict, but it doesn't seem to be installed on this machine. There is no mention of it within Zone Alarm.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hi all

jeepster it was a fair while back when zone alarm was probably buggy but since then dispite routing through the configuration stuff i gave up on it but that doens't mean it hasnt improved since but that was enough for me so i steer clear dispite it being free.

good luck with it peter :)

billy

There's no need to turn Zone Alarm off Jim. Simply go into the program control section and give your uploading software permanent permission to access the internet.

I never have any problems whatsoever on my own pc, in fact I wouldn't be without it. I find the ability to control certain programs' internet access as useful as the normal firewall facilities.

Peter the answer to your question is the icon is called the "system tray alert".

To disable it, go to the alerts & logs tab, click main tab, click advanced button, click system tray alert tab.

Hope this of use to you?!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))