why do we use 56k modems

nigelnibbles

50K is about the best you can get with a dial-up line and that only if you are fairly close to the main phone company switching equipment. Not sure about the UK but in the US if you are 3 or more sub-stations away from the central office, you won't see much faster than around 35K.

The reasons are technical and way over my head but as I understand it, using the best error correcting and some compression, 50K is some sort of a limit. There are some newer compression routines available that will give you more data so it will appear faster but if you could buy a 112K modem, you'd still only get the 50K or 35K or whatever thru put.

One issue is the fact that a dial-up modem has to do lots of translation. It takes a digital data stream from a PC, translates it to analog and onto the phone line, then back to digital at the other end so a PC can deal with it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 3 weeks later...

It is all to do with the maximum baud rate of the standard phone system (POTS, Plain Old Telephone System)

This pdf file explains it more succinctly than I ever could.

I hope that your maths is up to it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote